Posts: 91 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ UAE/Dubai/Burj Khalifa
N900 is AwEsOmE!! (FACT)

You don't need other people to tell you so...

Be proud of your device

PeAcE

The Following User Says Thank You to Ahmed360 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 589 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
yep its an honest review

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Espoo
yep, one of the best reviews so far.

I only had a couple of things I was not 100% agreeing with;
- problems using the end of fingers to activate things
Personally i have not encountered *any* problems selecting things with the end of my finger (NOT nail), but on lists i find I have learnt to scroll using a nail, as using a finger tends to select for me.
- what is the benefit of multi touch in maps?
In all the reviews, it mentions "multi touch" like it solves all problems ever, but then does not say *HOW* it does this.

Yeahhh baby! Maemo and N900 to take over the WORLD!!!

What are we gonna do tonight brain?

Why are so many reviews comparing the dashboard to Palm's cards? Based on the screenshots I've seen, they're not alike at all, except that both have live previews.

And saying that they were "popularized by webOS" is a bit disingenuous since it launched less than half a year before the N900. Both are devices of the same generation, and I'm sure Nokia knew what they were going to do before the Pre launched. (Plus, the N900 is going to sell better, if we go by the strict meaning of "popularize".)

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Nice review. Its always really weird to see how other people use different devices. After sitting besides user and not saying any comments or interrupting he/her while watching his/hers way of using device/program you really start to understand how differently we see things. Like in this review he has not noticed how to go back from applications icon view. Some people would say that how this is even possible, but as you see it is. THIS is really interesting. I have been many times just sitting by people using Windows and trying not to say how to do stuff, but see how they do stuff and its always rewarding and really opens your mind. Thatīs probably reason why comments like "its obvious/easy" makes me sometimes lose my mind. I recommend this kind of experiments to all of you (if your nerves can take it)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
"It's a computer with a phone, not a phone that can compute."

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by livefreeordie View Post
Why are so many reviews comparing the dashboard to Palm's cards? Based on the screenshots I've seen, they're not alike at all, except that both have live previews.

And saying that they were "popularized by webOS" is a bit disingenuous since it launched less than half a year before the N900. Both are devices of the same generation, and I'm sure Nokia knew what they were going to do before the Pre launched. (Plus, the N900 is going to sell better, if we go by the strict meaning of "popularize".)
While I certainly wouldn't call the Pre a smashing success (being tied to Sprint for the launch pretty much guaranteed that wasn't going to be the case), I don't think for an instant that the N900 will sell more units.

Nokia doesn't release sales info for the N900 (except to say that it's "met expectations"), and Palm doesn't break sales figures out by device, but just the fact that the Pre is sold subsidized I'd argue pretty much means it'll sell more (and as it's Palm's hail mary pass to stay relevant, it had better).

As to the webos cards comparison, I think it makes sense. A smarphone user who sees both an N900 in use and a Palm Pre can see that both systems have a view where all the open applications are shrunk and let you move from one to another.

Just be happy they didn't compare it to expose on a Mac

When an iPhone user friend of mine asked me if I could just run our Killing Floor server off my N900, it kind of summed everything up. He meant it jokingly, but he fully understands the capabilities of the N900.

That's it in a nutshell. The "fluff" on how to navigate around the phone is just that; fluff. When the rubber meets the road, the N900 is unbeatable.

Originally Posted by switchfiend View Post
Just be happy they didn't compare it to expose on a Mac
I'd be happy with that comparison, because that's exactly what it is. (As long as they didn't try to suggest that Nokia should have implemented it on 2002 hardware in order to not be a copycat.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to livefreeordie For This Useful Post: