Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
Any one know if the bluetooth is still crippled? does it have a2dp?
This is a deal breaker for me. I mean come on, an a multimedia device made by Apple that doesn't support STEREO wireless Bluetooth?

I hate having a wired headphones when listenig to music especialy if im going on a run or exersizing the last thing I want is the cord in my way.

My 3 year old Treo can handle it...

Posts: 159 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Houston, texas
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
The 3g data plan is 30 $ in addition to the 40$ minumim talktime plan. That is 70$ a month for both 3g and phone. FOr two year 24 * 70 = 1680.
I'm paying $65 for EDGE speed and unlimited internet (Blackberry plan). $5 extra for 3G is actually looking very good. I believe I can get a further discount since I use At&t for cable, phone and internet. Hurray for self inflicted monopolies!

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
OK, this is off topic a bit, but reading all the comparisons you posted so far:

I'm starting to feel lucky not to live in the US. F**k, what prices are you guys happy with?

Here I get the cheapest 3G-phones (Nokia 6124 at the moment) for € 0,- and I don't even have to sign a new contract for this. It's just that they add bonus points to my account that will eventually translate into "You got a new phone for free - or a really good one very cheap" (usually every 12 months or so).
Nokia 6110 Navigator: GPS, 3G, S60, ... € 49,-

It really scares me to read what ppl pay for decent 3G phones elsewhere.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by stevecrye View Post
Concerns about iPhone:

* User can't change or service battery
* Forced to use AT&T - horrible reception, particularly in wilderness areas where my AllTel always connects
* wondering about apps - does it have a Cisco VPN client? What about vnc, remote desktop, kismet, + all the other essential unix tools?

Nice things about iPhone:

* it is a phone.

hint for Nokia - put a phone in the NIT! Arrgh! Let us choose our own cell service!

Steve
Whether the iPhone will have those apps will depend on one out of two methods..

1) Will Apple let it through their app store?
2) The user loads third party firmware and then loads the software from there (third party software is real nice. ).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
If you suspect that Nokia has something to fear from todays news, how do you think it will feel if this speculation is based on good information - the iPhoMAX no less!

http://www.pocketables.net/2008/06/so-whens-the-wi.html

The "platinum and diamond dust" reference makes me wonder if the info is a bit tongue in cheek. Or is this a valid spec for a case material?

Posts: 236 | Thanked: 149 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Finland
You mean the iPhoNEY?

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Florida
Strange, I pay $60/mo ($40 for voice service and $20 for the unlimited data plan, and I guess all those stupid taxes and fees) through AT&T for my 3G crappo Samsung ZX-20. That was one of the things I had thought of when the iphone came out, was that I would have paid the same monthly fee. I can see why AT&T would want to charge more, but I don't think they actually would. Plus, I think they just finished a pretty big 3G rollout a month or so ago.

That said... Wow. Impressive upgrade, great price. Its very tempting, but if I bought one, I'd have to sell my 810. Not sure I want to do that, as I like the slide-out keyboard and all the other stuff it can do. I just wish it would have better PIM.

I don't think Nokia is the only one that would need to worry about this :

http://www.rcrnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...15/CLASSIFIEDS

AT&T Mobility said it expects iPhone subsidies to dilute its earnings per share by 10 cents to 12 cents through the end of next year. The carrier said things will then turn around in 2010.

AT&T said unlimited iPhone 3G data plans for consumers will be available for $30 a month, in addition to voice plans starting at $40 a month. Business users will pay $45 per month for data, in addition to a voice plan.
This is going to hurt the other carriers as well.

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
TomTom already has iPhone navigation software ready to roll

http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/09/t...ready-to-roll/

It all boils down to it not just being about the iphone but about the whole software ecosystem around it.

It's amazing to me that other companies don't realize that it's about the user experience and that providing a superior one will make their devices successful. Not only has apple done that but it's also built a nice software ecosystem around it with plenty of people and companies developing for the platform.

What does that translate to? Reliable software that works.

I, personally, would not have any problem paying for software that works and has reliable support. I'd even buy some for the tablets....(if it existed)

Anyhow, I don't know why I'm saying all this. We are all different in the way we look at devices...some people look at the spec sheet and let that be the end all be all...Apple has figured out that it's not about the specs and features but the usability and life cycle (in terms of usability) of a product.

This 3G iphone will be a hit. The people who choose not to upgrade will benefit from all the development going on for iphone 2.0 software...Apple definitely knows what it is doing.

my .02