Active Topics

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
Get any standard DVD ripper (DVD Clone from Slysoft as one ex.) to rip the DVD's

Then use the Nokia Video Converter or tablet-encode to reencode the video to the tablet's best form-factor.
If you've got a decent copy of mencoder, tablet-encode can do it without any other software:

Code:
tablet-encode dvd: myfilm.avi
This'll rip the longest title on the DVD to "myfilm.avi" at the "average" preset.

HTH,

Andrew

The Following User Says Thank You to aflegg For This Useful Post:
Posts: 40 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Berkshire
Very useful, I was able to watch a couple of DVDs and TV programmes on a recent flight!

I did find a couple of problems with some conversions. In one case, converting a DVD, I got the German rather than English soundtrack. In another, converting a TV programme (recorded on a Topfield PVR), the audio description track was picked rather than the normal audio. So, any hints on how to work out how to specify the correct audio track, when the default settings don't work? (In most cases, for both DVD and recorded TV, the default options for tablet-encode worked fine.)

Posts: 473 | Thanked: 141 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Virginia, USA
You can also do it in one step using handbrake. I open the DVD in Handbrake (which has a windows version...I'm doing it in Linux), and do the following:

Change the format to mkv (you can probably leave it as mp4, I believe mplayer can handle this as well)
Picture tab: Set the video to 400 and let the vertical resolution default,
Audio tab: Audio codec -> mp3 (lame)

Click start, then wait for the output. It will be larger than the 400-500MB stated above, but the quality will be really good. If you need a smaller file, you can adjust the slide under Constant Quality (mine defaults to RF:20 (61%)) or set the bitrate or target size.

--vr

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
I did find a couple of problems with some conversions. In one case, converting a DVD, I got the German rather than English soundtrack. In another, converting a TV programme (recorded on a Topfield PVR), the audio description track was picked rather than the normal audio. So, any hints on how to work out how to specify the correct audio track, when the default settings don't work? (In most cases, for both DVD and recorded TV, the default options for tablet-encode worked fine.)
Hmm. You can force the audio tracks by using -m and referring to the aid documentation for mplayer/mencoder.

tablet-encode tries to do the right thing by looking at the value of $LANG. The output of mplayer -identify dvd:// would be useful, and the value of $LANG.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 40 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Berkshire
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Hmm. You can force the audio tracks by using -m and referring to the aid documentation for mplayer/mencoder.

tablet-encode tries to do the right thing by looking at the value of $LANG. The output of mplayer -identify dvd:// would be useful, and the value of $LANG.
I think I've found the problem; I didn't have 'mplayer' installed, so the tablet-encode script emitted some cryptic errors, and did the best it could (which was fine, sometimes). Now I've got mplayer, it seems to be working fine. I haven't tried again with the same DVD that I had problems with before, but when I find it, I'll check it.

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Columbia, MO
CloneDVD mobile from Slysoft has an n800 automatic setting - very handy.