Active Topics

Notices

Two things are annoying me about Video Center in OS2008

1. It seems to leave temporary files all over the place, which Media Player picks up as media files, though they're not, cluttering up the Library. They seem to get deleted only when the tablet is rebooted. I can't even seem to figure out where they're being stored. Is there any way I can manually trigger whatever process cleans these up, or at least find them so I can wipe them in the terminal?

2. I used to refresh my feeds then set about 3-4 downloads going at once. It seems now that frequently as one download ends, it kills the others, leaving them as partial, requiring a click on "Resume" in the feed browser view, which invariably just begins again from 0%.

I have a feeling the files in part 1 are often the partial files from part 2. Whether this is the case or not, any ideas on no 1, and any others having the same experience as me in no 2? The garage project for VC seems pretty unused so i'm not sure about reporting a bug.

Originally Posted by onion_cfe View Post

2. I used to refresh my feeds then set about 3-4 downloads going at once. It seems now that frequently as one download ends, it kills the others, leaving them as partial, requiring a click on "Resume" in the feed browser view, which invariably just begins again from 0%.
I am definitely having the same problem here and its driving me nuts. Video Center is my most-used program on the IT and it feels like its getting buggier each time I use it.

I'm trying to figure out how to delete downloaded video files from within Video Center. I can delete them using file manager, but not sure what ills that may create. Maybe I'm just missing something, but very few of the videos are permanent keepers.

Hey my thread finally came alive

Pity I noticed 14 days later. If you're still there, my updated comments are:

- A later started, faster finishing download kills all progressing downloads, always - it's a definite bug, but the VC garage project looks so unused that I think logging a bug will be a waste of time.

- The application doesn't make it that clear that there are three views, a feed broswer when clicking "Internet Videos" and a download browser when clicking "My Videos". You can delete files from the "My Videos" view via the File menu, although I don't, instead using the same option from the media player. When I finally shift to Canola 100% I might need to start doing this too though.

Does anybody know how to get the attention of somebody working on VC? This download bug has only been introduced in the recent version and it's incredibly annoying.

There is also another download related bug in VC.

I have a 8 GB SD card and when the free space on the card was almost down to 4 GB, Videocenter did stop downloads with "out of memory" messages when hitting the 4 GB boundary.

The solution was to put some more data on the card so I had a bit less then 4 GB of fres space. After that VC didn't give the out of memory error anymore.

The Following User Says Thank You to iskarion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
[QUOTE=onion_cfe;142894]...
- A later started, faster finishing download kills all progressing downloads, always - it's a definite bug, but the VC garage project looks so unused that I think logging a bug will be a waste of time.

I cannot reproduce your bug. I dl 4 files all with different size,
all finished one at a time.

EDIT: Download is NOT a problem. Files dl fine on videocenter. Problems with playlist, see more info here, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=16388, thread #5.

@everybody on this thread: Did you also happen to have KDE installed and how installed and what version. TIA,

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-02-16 at 16:35.

Originally Posted by iskarion View Post
There is also another download related bug in VC.

I have a 8 GB SD card and when the free space on the card was almost down to 4 GB, Videocenter did stop downloads with "out of memory" messages when hitting the 4 GB boundary.

The solution was to put some more data on the card so I had a bit less then 4 GB of fres space. After that VC didn't give the out of memory error anymore.
I've also seen that problem where I hit the 4gig mark on an 8gig card and I started getting a "Disk Full" or "Out of Memory" error. I'll try filling the card up more and see if that helps.

Thanks!

Sorry to wake this old thread, but I have a N800 and am having problems downloading podcasts all the sudden, they have been working great for a long time. A few weeks ago I installed a SanDisk 8 gb flash in the external slot. After that Video Center shows the file downloading to new chip just as it always did, but when it gets done no video shows up in the My Video window like it did before. It doesn't show up in the file manager either. So. I put everything back as I had it, (all the same SD cards in the same slots as before), still no joy. So now I re-flashed the tablet to the latest software, still doesn't show the files after downloading them. Anybody got an idea why? Everything else seems to be working fine. Oh and BTW, I can watch the videos okay just streaming them, just cant download them for later viewing.

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Liberty, SC
I have been noticing this problem too for the last few weeks. it seams to be a new issue.

The video will not show up in the "My Videos" box but if you play the video by pushing the play button by the video in the "Internet Videos" side after downloading it will play. But if you exit the program and restart it the video is gone.

I starting to do some testing today and found that when Video Center downloads files they come marked hidden I assume this is to keep the file from appearing in the "My Videos" box before the download is complete. After the download completes the program is supposed to remove the hidden file marker. Some of the videos I get are mp4 and others are avi formatted. the mp4 files work, the avi files do not. For some reason the program is not removing the hidden file marker from avi files. When Video Center starts up it cleans house and deletes hidden files in its directories assuming they are aborted downloads. I would think the program should do this when unloading (or at least during loading AND unloading) but what do I know.

I checked here to see if anyone had the same problem and a solution before I try to remove the program, clean off the directories, and reload. I am not confidant this will prove to be a solution but its worth a try. Has anyone found a better solution.

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Liberty, SC
Just completed the reinstall with no joy. avi files stay marked as hidden.

anyone have any ideas?