Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Yeah, and the edge swipe & swipe notification might make some sense on a tablet (you might not be able to reach an edge sometimes) but makes much less sense on a small smartphone screen. The cost ? easy to use cover action gestures being replaced by tiny tiny buttons that are hard to click but easy to miss-click... Feels a bit like shoehorning tablet UI to a mobile phone.
Even on the tablet you have to use edge swipes to get back to the home screen from an app as there is no home button so a user that isn't used to edge swipes is going to get lost in apps or have to learn the difference between in-app and edge swipes.

The Following User Says Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by romu View Post
No, all of this is pretty gone and you have only one kind of gesture (from "within" the screen area) + swipe from the top edge. This is far easier to understand and use.
That is not quite true though. You still have edge swipes to bring up notifications and the apps menu. Only now they are somehow more intuitive.

In the same location of the screen, having 3 different types of data with their own graphical convention is somewhat confusing to me.
That one is a hard nut to crack. Every OS needs some way of popping up system messages. In many cases these interfere with normal use of the device. That is not a big deal if the pop-ups offer some easy way of getting them out of the way.

The remorse pop-up is kinda tricky in this regard. Perhaps it needs two actions: tap here to change your mind or here to do the action right away. The default would be as it it, perform the action when it times out.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Nope, I'm pretty sure there is no such limitation on the N900. You will always get the same thing on the screen as when you locked the device.
Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about Jolla.

The cost ? easy to use cover action gestures being replaced by tiny tiny buttons that are hard to click but easy to miss-click... Feels a bit like shoehorning tablet UI to a mobile phone.
Funny, I thought the exact opposite. Hard to use and easy to misinterpret cover action swipes replaced with clear, obvious, easy to use and hard to miss buttons.

Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Disagree. Sailfish 1.x with gestures was like giving a screwdriver and screws to somebody that only knows how to use a hammer, to continue your analogy.
I meant the Jolla developers. They got a new hammer and tried to shoehorn it for everything. Well, not everything in the world is a nail (or a screw if you like). Use the right tool for the job, and I maintain that 2.0 is going in the right direction. It may not be quite there yet but please bear in mind that this is only the first stab at 2.0. It's not even called 2.something yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
For a gesture based os I find the settings menu "gestures" surprisingly empty.

Can I just choose if I will use the trusty swipe cover actions instead of the limited, push buttons?

If this is a test to see which one of both we like the most I confirm that I now miss the swipe cover actions which I took for granted as main feature of the OS.
In retrospect, should I have made a poem about those to confirm Marc & Co about their genius?

The only time a non Saiflish user used the word "cool" about Sailfish was when I demonstrated the cover actions.

The hammering world is not too stupid to use screws and screwdriver but they need to be informed and reminded now and then about the "revolutionary new way of..".

I expected the number of swipe cover actions to be extended with the tablet OS having more display real estate available.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
One thing I really like about 2.0 is that starting apps no longer steal focus from you when ready. Thus I can chain start several apps and only the last one will show on screen when ready. Even Android apps heed to this rule.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Astaoth View Post
Hum I agree, a kind of Nokia Situations based on ambiences will be great. In this way we will have an integrated Situations app, with a quick way to see which situation is started (eg with the background). And in this way, for example if we are at work we can have a more professional background than at home, and with a dark one during the night. This with also the quick launcher change will be very interresting.
Yes. You got the point. Did you remember to vote it?
https://together.jolla.com/question/...-to-ambiances/

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I'll have to add in my observations as everybody else seems to have an opinion to share, too

First thing, it seems that not a lot has changed, only some small things. However it does of course feel that workflows are not so automatic since I've gotten used to the way SFOS worked for almost 2 years.

Most annoying thing is the missed opportunity of having the 2 sideways swipes, as both "in-screen-swipe" and "from-edge-swipe" perform the same action, rotating the carousel.
It still escapes my reasoning why carousel could not be activated from edge swipe and in-screen swipe be reserved for cover actions.
I liked the cover swipe better than the button approach.

The swipe-from-top to change ambience or lock device is OK, I mostly use it to lock the device anyway or set it to silent mode and that's still OK.
One thing I missed from previous version, which still is not implemented is possibility to lock device with ons swipe when I have an applcation in the front; I need to first swipe off sideways and only after that swile down to lock. What I'd like to see si to lock the device without killing thew app, using for example an L-shaped swipe or something.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I liked the cover swipe better than the button approach.
And I prefer it this way I hope they add more buttons though. Swipe actions are limited to two, but you could easily fit six buttons making the covers finally actually, well, useful. Like widgets used to be.

One thing I missed from previous version, which still is not implemented is possibility to lock device with ons swipe when I have an applcation in the front; I need to first swipe off sideways and only after that swile down to lock. What I'd like to see si to lock the device without killing thew app, using for example an L-shaped swipe or something.
I envisage something even simple, such as swipe and hold. Swipe from the top to close the app, swipe and hold to lock the device. I don't know about others, but for me locking the device is by far the most common operation. It should be triggered by a very simple gesture.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Disagree. Sailfish 1.x with gestures was like giving a screwdriver and screws to somebody that only knows how to use a hammer, to continue your analogy.

Sailfish 2.x seems to be an admission that people are too stupid to use screwdrivers.

There was a learning curve with 1.x but with it came genuine functionality. I used edge swipes and cover actions all the time. I'd quite often use the multi tasking view to refresh email, tweetian and change music without entering each app. It's a real shame that has gone. All for the sake of people who can only operate hammers.

If I was redesigning it, I'd keep the cover actions, use edge swipes for the carousel, ditch the swipe up for apps (I never used swipe up in 1.x) and stick the app grid where they want to stick the partner space (ditch partner space). Also, ditch ambiances for an n9 style pull down top menu with quick access to volume and settings.
Hammers, screwdrivers — it all doesn't matter. Because Ui first of all about UX. And good UX do not need an introduction or explanation, remember how easy was n9, it took you few hours and you just got used and was not able to give up. Good UX is just something intuitive

The Following User Says Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post: