Notices

OMG! I love SC2! Any way to enable the two player mode wirelessly?

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Netplay for super-melee was added to Ur-Quan-Masters 0.6.0; so yes, we should be able to engage in online duels.

While you're waiting, please sign the petition to Toys for Bob, for a Star Control 3.

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/petition/petition.php

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
... signed months ago. And I need to seriously chime in again. This is one of the top ten games of all time (if not the greatest). 20 years from now it'd still be playable.

I still haven't gotten a response from jussik. Hope he's still alive.

The UQM port is dead unless we can get it compiled for OS2006.

It looks like the dsp mp3 decoder is fairly easy to use, so we might be able to get music in there as well without a slowdown. The .oggs from the remix project are fantastic. Just need to be converted with lame.

Melee will certainly be difficult, and i think we may need to add buttons on the right side of the screen, since the left hand can't do keypad and two action buttons well at the same time. I'll be testing with synergy or a bluetooth keyboard for starters.

If anyone knows how to get in contact with Jussi please do. I need his diffs to get this working on OS2006.

Maybe if those who are interested would email jhkukkon (the at sign) cc.hut.fi, he could become motivated to release his source.

Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
I still haven't gotten a response from jussik. Hope he's still alive.
Heh. Your message had ended up in my spam folder (university spamassassin is mostly very accurate, I don't know what happened).

Anyway, I sent you a diff. The changes aren't big, but they might save you some work (although the bulk is going to be repackaging for the new and shiny maemo version -- what is it with these people, breaking every possible compatibility every six months? ) I'll push them on my web space also...

I stopped maintaining when all my hardware seemed to break down at the same time -- the 770, a hard drive and my main development machine -- I've got replacements now (including a new N800, whee), so I might be interested in working on this too. Not promising anything, but I'd appreciate it if you'd keep me posted on your work.

The mp3 idea is good one -- as you might know I had to lower the sound quality on the ogg playback to get it even working (not that it mattered on the sound quality, the 770 speaker is so lousy).

Thanks.

The uqm devs have offered access to the original .wav files for the mp3 encoding. Actually given the size constraints, the 770 speaker is quite good: Electrostatic, very loud.

There is quite a todo list to make this package work well on the 770 / 800. I've applied for a project page (uqm) on garage.maemo.org so development and discussion can be publicly coordinated.

Open Discussion Forum for Ur-Quan masters port now active.

UQM 0.6.2 builds and runs cleanly within Scratchbox for i386; some info to get started here:

https://garage.maemo.org/forum/forum...8&forum_id=858

To get added as a developer, drop me a line.

ATTENTION INTERLOPER, HEED THIS RECORDED MESSAGE:

Ur-Quan Masters 0.6.2 prerelease binary is for OS2006 is now available!

https://garage.maemo.org/frs/?group_id=224.

It's not yet been packaged or maemoized, so if you're not comfortable with linux and shells, don't bother.

For speed reasons, it must run at 320x200 mode with low quality sound, but everything's there, everything works. Music, sound, speech, load/save etc.

You can customize button preferences in the in-game setup, though i find it's most playable with a keyboard.

Cheers,

Should this work on N800? Did what the README told me to, but I still get 'Could not find content'-error messages.

The Following User Says Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post:
Thanks for testing! But it is compiled for os2006 (770), so i'd be surprised if it ran on the 800. You need to be in the directory above 'content' and invoke the uqm-debug with the full path to the executeable in your home dir.

I've gotten pixel doubling sort-of working, btw, but it only doubles currently updated bitmaps, there seems to be some backing store or page flipping that draws at 1x.