Active Topics

Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Well, in physics then, if a surface doesn't exist, simply due to the fact that everything is made together from molecules, atoms, neutrons et all. And since those are all physical elements. Then objects can't really touch.
But, no, it is not so. In particle accelerators atoms are indeed not only touching each others. But banging together in a massive explosive orgasm.
So yes, that video is ********. Even though kinda fun.
Much more fun than the wait. Which seems to have extended once again.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
In particle accelerators atoms are indeed not only touching each others. But banging together in a massive explosive orgasm.
Dear Sir, may I have your kind permission to use that quote in my signature?

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Dear Sir, may I have your kind permission to use that quote in my signature?
Be my guest
!(c) reserved he he

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
In particle accelerators atoms are indeed not only touching each others.
Er, well, sort of. The electromagnetic force between two electrons pushes them apart, but if you apply enough force, you can overcome this repulsion. Doing so, you can get past the electrons, and force the cores of the atoms closer together. Of course, then you've got protons pushing each other apart, and their push is even stronger; but, again, with enough force, you can get past that. At this point, you get to atomic cores interacting directly with one another, and now things get really messy.

But yeah, in any case, particle accelerators do more than make atoms touch one another, they get atoms all mixed up with one another. (Thus the other common term for a particle accelerator is an "Atom Smasher". )

Originally Posted by wicket View Post
Any chemists here?
Well, I used to be a chemist in an earlier part of my career. In addition to the wikipedia link about wetting that was posted above, I recall that in the lab we used substances called "wetting agents" that helped ensure that a liquid covered a surface rather than forming drops on it. Those liquids were not always water of course: they could be a variety of organic solvents, which you may encounter in daily life as things like nail varnish remover.

Here is a link from Chemwiki: http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Physical...Wetting_Agents

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
But yeah, in any case, particle accelerators do more than make atoms touch one another, they get atoms all mixed up with one another.
Doesn't that fit the definition of 'massive explosive orgasm'?

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Doesn't that fit the definition of 'massive explosive orgasm'?
Wow, I've gotta say that your understanding of an orgasm seems way, way more painful than mine. (I guess everybody has different tastes, though... )

Another thing occurred to me just now, given this thread's title and the current topic (and to gently and inconspicuously take readers' attention away from orgasms)...

Can the Jolla tablet get wet?

At the current rate of delivery, we may never know...

When two surfaces touch one another, they really do touch. There's no other good way to describe the phenomenon.
Correct. It is not a matter of physics but a matter of language, isn't it?

Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Ah, this video is totally bogus. Here's the problem: when you say that the electrons surrounding two atoms push each other away (via the electromagnetic force), and that therefore two surfaces can never actually touch one another because their electrons keep them apart, I must ask: then what is the actual surface of an object?

Electrons themselves don't really have a surface (at least in the way we would think of it), and an "electron shell" is a very fuzzy concept as well. Neither of these serve well when trying to define the surface of an object. In actual fact, the only truly useful definition for the "surface" of a physical atomic structure, in terms of how it interacts with other physical structures, is the electromagnetic boundary surrounding that structure.

In short, don't believe this guy. When two surfaces touch one another, they really do touch. There's no other good way to describe the phenomenon.
My reply will be another video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKldI-XGHIw

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund