Posts: 207 | Thanked: 84 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ bournemouth
Had a mini brainstorm involving the in call loud speaker function.

While navigating a very long a boring switch board this morning, I put the N900 in loud speaker mode and navigated the options, when I finally got to the point where I was on hold for over 10 minutes I left the phone in speaker mode and started to browse the web a bit.

When my call was finally connected it took me a few stubbled attempts to navigate the menus to turn loud speaker off.

So. My Idea...

Can the N900 be programmed so that when in a call and in loud speaker mode, bringing the phone to your ear (via the proximity sensor) the phone automatically turns the loud speaker off and goose into normal mode???

Would be cool, and uber useful

http://wiki.maemo.org/General_precautions

and FYI - dont be a n00b and copy and paste commands into the Terminal with out knowing what it doe's and what you'll need to do to correct any problems.

Last edited by chemist; 2010-03-22 at 14:34. Reason: status

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to starman For This Useful Post:
Cool idea, yeah, agree, I had that problem just today.

wonder how it could be implemented??

and FYI - dont be a n00b and copy and paste commands into the Terminal with out knowing what it doe's and what you'll need to do to correct any problems.

This is a very good idea, I had the exact same problem.

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
+900000 from me good idea. phone near ear loud speaker off. phone away from ear loud speak on. BRILLIANT

Posts: 69 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
such a simple brilliant idea!

im not much a of programmer anymore, the last time I coded was Modular-C almost 10 years ago, but I dont think it would be to hard.

All you would need is a simple daemon that triggers a simple switch that activates when a call is put on to loud speaker, then it could use the accelerometer to switch the loud speaker off when the phone is close to the ear.

easy peasy.... damn i wish my coding skills wernt ancient

Moderator | Posts: 199 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on May 2009 @ turku, finland
and why not an option to automatically turn on the loudspeaker after n seconds when the phone is not close to the ear.

Originally Posted by edgar2 View Post
and why not an option to automatically turn on the loudspeaker after n seconds when the phone is not close to the ear.
Yes! That is also very cool.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
This sounds like a good idea. I do worry slightly that the proximity sensor could be triggered by fingers while browsing around, thus cutting off the speaker.