Notices

I tried everything to get JA2 1.13 running on N900, including mumbo jumbo rituals, however I was unsuccessful in my quest. Last hope, I will give anyone who gets it running and playable on maemo 50EUR (70USD), the bloody game is worth it (every cent). This is the only game I currently miss on my N900 and I guess it is possible, as the engine itself is working and 1.13 mod consist just from many subtle changes.

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ China
Thanks for this port! However, I still have not been able to get it to run because I keep getting the "The Jagged Alliance 2 data files were not found on either memory card" message.

I bought JA2 onsale from GOG recently and downloaded it from Steam and installed it in Vista. I then copied the "Data" folder (860.5 MB) onto a flash drive and transferred it to my n810 (running Diablo) via the micro USB port.
I trolled this forum and have tried the following steps:

1. I had installed "Data" to /media/mmc2/ because there is slightly more room there--I have a recent version of Wikipedia for Aard Dictionary taking up most of the room on /media/mmc1. I ran the maemo Jagged Alliance 2 port to create the /home/user/.ja2 folder. I then tried to create the ja2.ini file with the echo command in xterm. (I first put the Data folder in /media/mmc1/share/ja2data because a few other game program data files were already in the "share" folder; later I moved the game data to /media/mmc2/ja2data/Data). I used the basic format: echo "data_dir=/media/mmc2/share/ja2data">/home/user/.ja2/ja2.ini". I tried all these variations for the ja2.ini without success:

data_dir=/media/mmc2/share/ja2data
data_dir=/media/mmc2/share/ja2data/Data
data_dir=/media/mmc2/ja2data
data_dir=/media/mmc2/ja2data/
data_dir=/media/mmc2/ja2data/Data/

(I also checked the contents of the ja2.ini file with Leafpad to make sure that the echo command worked correctly).

2. I checked the permissions for the "Data" directory. The folder and all its contents have "user" as the Owner and "root" as the group.

3. I allowed all permissions for the "Data" and "ja2.ini" files in /home/user/.ja2. I did this using:

chmod a+rwx Data
chmod a+rwx ja2.ini

4. I ran "ja2" in xterm and got the following error:

Code:
~ $ ja2
ERROR: Failed to open "/some/place/where/the/data/is/Data/data.slf"
ERROR: caught unhandled exception:
Initialising libraries failed
~ $
5. I un-capitilized the Data.slf and Ambient.slf files in the "Data" folder. However, I still get the same error as in my step #4.

--UPDATE--
Before I posted this thing, I checked the ja2.ini file one more time and I was surprised to see:

Code:
#Tells ja2-stracciatella where the binary datafiles are located
data_dir = /some/place/where/the/data/is
I don't understand how that happened. So I just changed it with Leafpad (I did a cp ja2.ini /media/mmc2/ja2.ini command to put it where Leafpad could see it and then copied it back afterwards):

Code:
#Tells ja2-stracciatella where the binary datafiles are located
data_dir = /media/mmc2/ja2data/
and now it works!! Thanks to the previous posters for your good tips!

The Following User Says Thank You to Palmleavr For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
^ I've missed all of your wonderful posts on Garnet VM.

It's great to see you still around here.

Sorry if it was covered before, but I've searched this thread both manually and by search, still without success.

So, in N900 version, where TAB is mapped? It's used to change height lvl of aiming (i.e. when You place Your merc on roof, and want to shoot off head of guy located in ground). Maybe it's something really obvious, but despite intensive research ( ) I can't find it. Which is big lack for me, cause I really like tactical element of placing "snipers" on roofs
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Another question, + bumping last one - I really miss "tab", to shoot from roofs...

How can I swap saved games between desktop JA2 and N900 one (i also use stracciatella)? when on desktop, I was even able to convert vanilla JA2 saves to stracciatella ones, but n900 version doesn't seem to accept *any* savegame, be it stracciatella or vanilla one. Saved are shown on load list, but with "???????" and strange characters name. If I use vanilla ones, prompt for converting shows, but JA2 just shut down, when trying to open. Same happens for native stracciatella saves, of course except prompt for converting - it just shut down.

Using saves from N900 on desktop works pretty well, so I assume that it's some specific fail of maemo port. Can I do something to fix it? would really love to share saved games between desktop and N900.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Old N800 user here.

Anyone know of a way for the game to be dead center on the screen like in Dosbox?

I have version 0.121r6466-1maemo0.

Thank you.

Originally Posted by Addison View Post
Old N800 user here.

Anyone know of a way for the game to be dead center on the screen like in Dosbox?

I have version 0.121r6466-1maemo0.

Thank you.
Edit source to make the game render to 800x480 screen starting from 80 pixels from the left. You may also need to edit the input code though.

The Following User Says Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post:
I actually prefer a 640x480 screen.

The screenshots I've seen here are all centered and I was just wondering why mine isn't the same.

Well, I've got a really nice setup and launch file for the older modeled tablet if anyone is interested in me sharing this.

Simply hold the Zoom Out key and tap on the screen for a Right Click

The Zoom In key produces a Double Click to minimize screen tapping errors.

I also have a perfectly working onscreen keyboard.

You can close this at any time if you want to see more of the field screen.

Just press the Full Screen hardware key to bring the keyboard back up again.

It can also be easily customized if you want to use different buttons.

I'm still trying to figure out how to do a Control key though...

It's beginning to look like it's not possible to do on the N800 unless someone has a brilliant idea for me to try.

Cheers.

The Following User Says Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
Development of JA@ Stracciatella picked up some time ago, with quite impressive list of fixes, already:
https://bitbucket.org/gennady/ja2-stracciatella

Considering, that we already have a working and optimized Stracciatella port for Maemos (all of them), and that new version is directly based on the same source code that was used to build our version, it shouldn't be very hard to compile latest version for our use-cases.

The only caveat may be to re-apply Maemo specific bits (like, hardcoding inaccessible keys to other keys - which, BTW, could be good excuse for making them configurable via settings file instead of hardcoded).

Any JA2-loving coder up to the task?

Cheers,
/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post: