Active Topics

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Cleveland
Based on my conversations with Nokia, you cannot buy replacement styli for the N800 in the US and if your screen is damaged by a third party stylus, the warranty is voided. Quite a Catch 22.

As I have missplaced one of my N800 styli once (but later found it), I am hesitant to use it regularly. As a result of some research, I have been using third-party Pentopia series styli from Pilot. They seem to very well made and very gentle on screens.

My favorite so far is the Pilot T10MG Compact Tetherable Stylus. They are very affordable and compact and I have been buying them from http://www.stylisource.com.

I'm not sure if anybody else was looking for a good substitute, but I recommend them.

Since I carry my N800 in a carying case that has a litle slot for a pen, I use this one: http://www.spacepen.com/Public/Produ...tPen/index.cfm

I really like it a lot.

R.
==

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Nokia _really_ need to get the US and UK online stores "on programme" sooner rather than later - their lack of support for the 770, N800 (and probably N810 given enough time) is ridiculous and really undermines the efforts of the guys slogging their guts out over at maemo.org.

The inability to buy replacements parts for basic in-box and easily lost Internet Tablet accessories is breathtaking.

Ultimately though we're wasting our breath/electrons complaining here - complain via Nokia Care, it's the only way Nokia will listen.

The Following User Says Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Well, only had it for a month, but the N800 stylus seems to snap in securely. I haven't lost one yet, but just for the comfort of something larger, I sometimes use a mechanical pencil. The cheap bics that come in 5-packs, with a plastic tip, and of course the lead is retracted. You could get one of these and discard all the lead, I suppose, but I just make sure to retract it before I use it. (I use these cheap pencils, because I am always losing them, so I just keep a fistful in my pocket.)

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Nokia _really_ need to get the US and UK online stores "on programme" sooner rather than later - their lack of support for the 770, N800 (and probably N810 given enough time) is ridiculous and really undermines the efforts of the guys slogging their guts out over at maemo.org.

The inability to buy replacements parts for basic in-box and easily lost Internet Tablet accessories is breathtaking.

Ultimately though we're wasting our breath/electrons complaining here - complain via Nokia Care, it's the only way Nokia will listen.
I have exchanged a half dozen or more e-mails with them and have received basically the same boilerplate letter back each time. I don't think they are listening....

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Well, only had it for a month, but the N800 stylus seems to snap in securely. I haven't lost one yet, but just for the comfort of something larger, I sometimes use a mechanical pencil. The cheap bics that come in 5-packs, with a plastic tip, and of course the lead is retracted. You could get one of these and discard all the lead, I suppose, but I just make sure to retract it before I use it. (I use these cheap pencils, because I am always losing them, so I just keep a fistful in my pocket.)
Be careful using anything that is not a stylus. I certainly wouldn't recommend it because you can do permanent damage to your screen.

Read this information about styli. It is very helpful:

http://www.stylisource.com/pda-stylu...lus-design.asp

Originally Posted by Tony Thomas View Post
Be careful using anything that is not a stylus. I certainly wouldn't recommend it because you can do permanent damage to your screen.
I am indeed being careful. The particular pencils I use have a smooth radius on the outside, and are made of smooth, soft plastic. I'm aware of the possibility of damage to the screen; however, I feel that using these pencils poses no increased risk.
Read this information about styli. It is very helpful:

http://www.stylisource.com/pda-stylu...lus-design.asp
I suppose it depends on one's definition of helpful.
It doesn't help me at all, as it only points out obvious concerns that anyone considering any implement for poking at an expensive touchscreen has already thought of.

But maybe I'm the only one who doesn't think of infomercials as very helpful. I suppose it must be "very helpful" to stylisource, after all, as it apparently scares some people into buying a stylus from them.

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
I am indeed being careful. The particular pencils I use have a smooth radius on the outside, and are made of smooth, soft plastic. I'm aware of the possibility of damage to the screen; however, I feel that using these pencils poses no increased risk.

I suppose it depends on one's definition of helpful.
It doesn't help me at all, as it only points out obvious concerns that anyone considering any implement for poking at an expensive touchscreen has already thought of.

But maybe I'm the only one who doesn't think of infomercials as very helpful. I suppose it must be "very helpful" to stylisource, after all, as it apparently scares some people into buying a stylus from them.
I understand your skepticism.

The best solution would be to do an objective test.

Get a couple of pieces of transparent plastic sheeting (screen protectors would be ideal) and spend fifteen minutes writing, dragging and poking one of them with your pencil or other chosen implement. Repeat the test using a Pilot or other quality stylus and then inspect the two sheets using a magnifer. Better yet, photograph the results and post them here.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
It would be nice if some reviewer would give the N800 or N810 a lower rating because of the non-availablity of a replacement for something more or less guaranteed to be lost at some point by many people.

I lost one of the styli when I opened my new N800, before I even understood what it was. I found it six months later, fortunately.

Originally Posted by Tony Thomas View Post
I understand your skepticism.

The best solution would be to do an objective test.

Get a couple of pieces of transparent plastic sheeting (screen protectors would be ideal) and spend fifteen minutes writing, dragging and poking one of them with your pencil or other chosen implement. Repeat the test using a Pilot or other quality stylus and then inspect the two sheets using a magnifer. Better yet, photograph the results and post them here.
Good idea, but I think it'll need more than 15 minutes to cause any visible wear. (I've spent hours of use, probably well over 15 minutes actual writing, with the pencil, and my screen's not visibly degraded yet.) If I can come up with some suitable plastic to play with, I may do it anyhow. And a screen protector would seem a singularly bad choice, as it's chosen for its wear resistance. I can see the potential for spending hours with no results.