Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
There may indeed never be a way to flash a Jolla device -- see https://twitter.com/JollaHQ/status/413594939415859200 and ensuing discussion.

Unless there's some news in this regard, even chmoding the wrong directory will get you a Eur400 paperweight.

Sigh.
I am just pleased I held off from pre ordering a device from a company that is truly open (TM). Even Android devices seem better than the myriad of nonsense one has to put up with Jolla and their dodging of important questions.

Not to mention the fanboys Jolla seems to have lingering around who defend the most indefensible things. At present, from rainisto's post, 2014 may see the release of flasher for developers (warranty void?) so another month(s) of waiting

/rant

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
I don't think Jolla folks are thrilled about using Qualcomm. But they chose it for some reason.

Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
On the other hand, their latest mobile systems fortunately seem to be using their own GPUs & open drivers. But I'm still not sure even the latest Intel mobile systems do the same things in the same power envelope as ARM based SOCs.
Well, Intel is playing the catch up game for a long time already. At some point they need to really catch up. Would be interesting to see if some handsets with Merrifield are coming out next year. I suspect Intel is the only chance to get Sailfish in the future running on native drivers without libhybris hacks. Can't say about flashing aspects and so on though. Some more info about Merrifield is supposed to be published in February.

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-12-20 at 04:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
We are working on solution where end user can reset their devices back to factory state, even if they have managed to get their devices filesystem in non bootable state (as long as btrfs works). That will most likely happen with custom recovery mode which will be installed at some coming update. More info will be available next year.

We are also investigating if we can offer real flashing solution without breaking device security, but for now the approach will most likely be to update recovery image which will allow resetting back to factory state (after querying devicelock code if that has been set).
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

Last edited by rainisto; 2013-12-20 at 05:43.

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
So for the time being we are driving through the desert without a spare tire?

"real flashing solution without breaking device security"

-> Just curious would be the disadvantage of broken security on this level?

Testing the Jolla for 1 week was a good opportunity to flash my daily productivity phone to a clean and up to date state.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
We are working on solution where end user can reset their devices back to factory state, even if they have managed to get their devices filesystem in non bootable state (as long as btrfs works). That will most likely happen with custom recovery mode which will be installed at some coming update. More info will be available next year.

We are also investigating if we can offer real flashing solution without breaking device security, but for now the approach will most likely be to update recovery image which will allow resetting back to factory state (after querying devicelock code if that has been set).
Thanks for the 'update' on this.
But, quite frankly, this is dissapointing news.
Initially this was expected to be a open device, based on the experience from Nokia and limitations.
Perhaps my Jolla will end up in my local museum for useless stuff.
Unless, of course, either Jolla comes up with a flashing solution and tools, factory images, including sources etc.
Or, I can use some less available Qualcomm tools to break this thing apart.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Just keeping this here for further hacking
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1856327

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
So for the time being we are driving through the desert without a spare tire?
Yes currently the spare tire is the care centers flashing stations. But update is coming soon, which gives you factory spare tire.

Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
"real flashing solution without breaking device security"
-> Just curious would be the disadvantage of broken security on
The thing which we protect is that if you have set devicelock code and someone steals your device, then he/she is not able to wipe it clean for selling it off by reflashing without knowning your lockcode.

Last edited by rainisto; 2013-12-20 at 09:27.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
One vision would be to offer imei based certificate which would allow flashing your own devices that have been registered to your Jolla account. And that would most certainly be behind some warranty void submit button. But lets see what spring will bring us, upcoming rescue image should offer solution to recover from most of the basic booting problems.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
The thing which we protect is that if you have set devicelock code and someone steals your device, then he/she is not able to wipe it clean for selling it off by reflashing without knowning your lockcode.
To be honest, I think that Jolla needs to set its priorities straight. It is going to be so ironic (ironic at "head explodes" levels) if the company whose CEO encourages its users to install their OS on other devices is going to close the bootloader because of "device security", "evil Qualcomm made me do it", or some other inane reason.

MR. JOLLA, TEAR DOWN THIS LOCKED BOOTLOADER!

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 72 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Germany
Honestly, if someone steals my phone I do not care much if that person is able to wipe and sell it, it's gone for me anyhow, it would not return just because the bootloader is locked, but would end up in a trashcan or sold in parts. Until thieves start to watch out specially for jollas there's still a long way to go...

The IMEI solution sounds nice, but a but complicated... is it possible that the user just sets a flag "allow free flashing y/n" and that it is disabled by default? I guess for many people here the risk of bricking is higher than the risk of theft.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Oblomow For This Useful Post: