Active Topics

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Engadget is an equal opportunity hater to anything not iPhone or Apple. They can not help themselves

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
Yeah, i completely ditched the site since CES realizing they can't even try to be objective while trying to be funny... Bad journalists.

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
Engadget is an equal opportunity hater to anything not iPhone or Apple. They can not help themselves
I don't know.... That tool Topolsky is pretty dang quick to suckle at the teet of WebOS and Android....

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
Originally Posted by R-R View Post
Yeah, i completely ditched the site since CES realizing they can't even try to be objective while trying to be funny... Bad journalists.
They aren't journalists. Don't even make that connection.

MAYBE Ryan Block and Peter Rohas were Journalists, but they left Engadget after the AOL buyout to start gdgt.com

They left the kid that got their coffee for them, Josh Topolsky, to run Engadget for their AOL/Time Warner overlords.

Topolsky is an unashamed Apple and Android fanboy and runs the site as such. Co-editors such as those featured on the Engadget podcast are rewarded for giggling at his anti-Nokia rants while even handed editors like Chris Zeigler at Engadget Mobile are openly mocked...

Engadaget is peanuts compared to Gizmodo - Gizmodo is a bloody apple wankathon.

i like to read the comments on engadget about nokia some of them are epic funny lol

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
I enjoy Engadget's up-to-date, graphical site of mobile news and such.
I don't mind much about the Nokia bashing they're doing, I'm perfectly capable of filtering out some of it.

I'm a 'podcastaholic' and tried listening to theirs but was left very dissappointed. They're quite childish and uninformative, mostly it gave me an impression of fashion journalism..

I've blacklisted Engadget long ago for using opinion shaping techniques usually found in tabloid press. People like to be told what to think or buy. On the other hand you can't blame them when it comes to the booming mobile market, following and researching it in-depth is a safe way to develop ADD.

JKK and Chippy may not cover everything, but i like those guys, even though they use Engadget for JS-Benchmarking.

Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
Originally Posted by qw3rty View Post
When/if they criticize Motorola or Palm, for example, they do it in a very different way, more as if they are disappointed but always rooting for them. They dismiss most foreign firms as clueless, and Nokia they just bash at every opportunity.

I think that on the Apple bias issue, recently they seem to have been trying to consciously reduce it, it's certainly a lot better than a lot of American media.
Just curious, as I hardly read the site, how do they treat the Korean Samsung or Swedish/Japanese Sony-Ericsson?

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Just curious, as I hardly read the site, how do they treat the Korean Samsung or Swedish/Japanese Sony-Ericsson?
I think they treat all firms with a heavy dose of snark. It should be noted, however, that they are a US site and tend to focus on products that are big in the US so not all devices get ink.

The site is basically in the "look what we found" school of reporting. For testing and comparison reviews, I look elsewhere. For breaking gadget news, they tend to get it first. How many other sites covered the Nokia CES presentation minute by minute, slide by slide?

If you like them, fine. If you don't, fine.

But whining doesn't become the community.

Tags
apple, engadget, nokia