Posts: 754 | Thanked: 630 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
I would like to know what the status is on getting the Qt 4.6 libs into the repos. Telling people to develop in Qt is all well and good but if we really are "going with the future of Maemo" then we need to be coding against 4.6.
libqt4-maemo-dev and likewise are all qt4.6

http://maemo.org/packages/view/libqt4-maemo5-dev/

Last edited by krk969; 2010-01-08 at 16:08.

The Following User Says Thank You to krk969 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
The quality of the MS documentation has been the source of jokes for years in the professional community though it is a lot better than it has been in the past. Be nice to see Maemo catch up but who will do the work?
I have this funny feeling that Maemo and Qt have something to do with Nokia... It's just a hunch. But if this turns out to be the case, one would think it would serve Nokia's best interests if there were good documentation available for developing in Qt. In fact, let me be so presumptuous as to suggest that Nokia should actually hire some capable people to write these much needed documents. Yes, for real money!

However, let us be honest here. The situation with documentation is not at all that hopeless. For instance, I'm rather fond of this E-learning thing. It's simple, well presented and, on top of that, there is a really nice and soothing female voice. Of course, one doesn't learn anything useful here, but the voice is nice.

Originally Posted by krk969 View Post
libqt4-maemo-dev and likewise are all qt4.6

http://maemo.org/packages/view/libqt4-maemo5-dev/
Danke - I didnt realise they were out there already. Might find 10 minutes today to try write a few simple Qt apps and see how they play without being hildonised.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Posts: 754 | Thanked: 630 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Danke - I didnt realise they were out there already. Might find 10 minutes today to try write a few simple Qt apps and see how they play without being hildonised.
AFAIK

I understand that QT apps will run on your N900 like normal apps. You dont need to do anything specific for maemo.
Except for hildonizing you can refer to some new stuff coming out
http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo_Qt_Extra_Libraries

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to krk969 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Sasler View Post
I have this funny feeling that Maemo and Qt have something to do with Nokia... It's just a hunch. But if this turns out to be the case, one would think it would serve Nokia's best interests if there were good documentation available for developing in Qt. In fact, let me be so presumptuous as to suggest that Nokia should actually hire some capable people to write these much needed documents. Yes, for real money!

However, let us be honest here. The situation with documentation is not at all that hopeless. For instance, I'm rather fond of this E-learning thing. It's simple, well presented and, on top of that, there is a really nice and soothing female voice. Of course, one doesn't learn anything useful here, but the voice is nice.
You mean something like this: http://doc.trolltech.com/4.6/index.html ? It seems to have examples for the most common uses of each class as well as a fairly comprehensive reference. Downside is that it appears to assume a knowledge of the basics, but it's still pretty useful.

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Montpellier, France
And you can replace 4.6 with 4.5 because if I remember well the QT implementation in maemo is 4.5

Originally Posted by rdnetto View Post
You mean something like this: http://doc.trolltech.com/4.6/index.html ? It seems to have examples for the most common uses of each class as well as a fairly comprehensive reference. Downside is that it appears to assume a knowledge of the basics, but it's still pretty useful.
Check this post. Yes, I'm using those documents quite frequently. They are the same as the QT Creators help files. I just often find it hard to understand from them how to use those classes I need. But hey, maybe it's just me.

Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by ravioli156 View Post
And you can replace 4.6 with 4.5 because if I remember well the QT implementation in maemo is 4.5
Maemo has both Qt 4.5 and 4.6, and you can use both, even in the same device in parallel

I personally recommend Qt 4.6 if you're starting, since is much more complete in terms of Maemo5 support.

Posts: 101 | Thanked: 129 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Los Angeles, CA
you can have QML as your UI overlay and your backend as C/C++ code (to store / pass data to QML, especially you want to write some 3D games without bending your head on GUI.

currently there is an issue regarding to pixelmap. however, I didn't see other problems.