Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Posts: 245 | Thanked: 233 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Ljubljana, Slovenia
As caprico said -- you read one review about tablet, you read them all.

OTOH, have LG G Pad 8.3 and barely use either camera, 2018 will be around before I get ac router, price is OK (had luck and participated while EUR/USD rate was OK). As for display -- can comment after is in my hands, I just wish it's better than on Jolla phone

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Another review of the tablet is out, this time in Die Welt:

http://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/webwel...ge-sicher.html

Long story short: these guys don't like the lack of Wifi ac, the reflectiveness of the screen, the crappy cameras, or the price. On the other hand, they had no problem with Android apps, note that the tablet barely gets warm even when running demanding apps, and talk favorably about the OS and about Jolla's emphasis on privacy...

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi

Long story short: these guys don't like the lack of Wifi ac, the reflectiveness of the screen, the crappy cameras, or the price. On the other hand, they had no problem with Android apps, note that the tablet barely gets warm even when running demanding apps, and talk favorably about the OS and about Jolla's emphasis on privacy...
They seem to agree on the overal solid build quality but seem not to be willing to review the device in dept.

Battery life?
SD Card performance?
Wifi prerformance and range (it has 5Ghz, has it not?)

What did they expect from this camera? It is meant for document scanning I suppose? The crappier the camera the less chance that I have to wait for hordes of Jolla tablet photographers to finish taking the masterpiece shots of their life at world's major tourist spots.

Sound?
As usual not a word about the sound quality of the speakers or the sound quality as a music player connected to headphone amplifier or amplifier with large speakers. I know that we should not expect the buitl in speakers to sound HIFI but since the Jolla phone has hit a very low mark in terms of mobile phone speaker sound quality I was wondering if there is any improvement towards avoiding listening tiredness.

Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
They seem to agree on the overal solid build quality but seem not to be willing to review the device in dept.

Battery life?
SD Card performance?
Wifi prerformance and range (it has 5Ghz, has it not?)
Well , in this case I agree with their statement that they don't want to judge based on a beta version of the OS. These kinds of tests should be done with shipped software version.

I agree on your other points. though.

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by Casanunda View Post
Well , in this case I agree with their statement that they don't want to judge based on a beta version of the OS. These kinds of tests should be done with shipped software version.

I agree on your other points. though.
Well I would agree to drop the tests but Sailfish beta was actually very good in battery life and frankly, how many 2013 early access beta tests of Jolla phone are still online compared to reviews of the actual more mature product in 2015?

Tablets like Jolla rarely get a chance to make a 2nd impression - people including these reviewers mostly just like to confirm they are well off with Android

Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
...and frankly, how many 2013 early access beta tests of Jolla phone are still online compared to reviews of the actual more mature product in 2015?
And that's exactly my point - if someone thinking about buying a Jolla now searches for reviews, he'll read mostly reviews of Beta version, criticizing things that have matured since, but without realizing this because reviewers take current situation as a given and don't even mention that some of the problems they write about can be (and have been since) changed by software updates...

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden

Anyone know if same crap camera as Jolla Phone or even worse? or is it SW related?

I don't get how they don't like the price :-/ ... I mean what do they expect? Jolla makes its own OS on top of the tablet for a very reasonable price... Anyway thanks for the little summery and translation!

Originally Posted by caprico View Post
Thanks...but it's the same, rather lame review, published already by Bild. Typical these-days-journalists-copy-paste-behaviour. I have nothing against the negative points mentioned, as those have to be mentioned for every product - but it's just crazy that alternative (and IMO often more interesting) software gets reviewed by some amateurs, while so many words are wasted on each Android/iOS non-feature reviews. But maybe I'm not the typical mainstream-news reader.
I remember Myriam Joire made a very in depth youtube review for the Jolla phone, hopefully she'll do one for the tablet too...but it probably won't be for a while...

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by ziplepingouin View Post
I don't get how they don't like the price :-/ ... I mean what do they expect? Jolla makes its own OS on top of the tablet for a very reasonable price... Anyway thanks for the little summery and translation!
People will complain about the price when they compare it to the cheap tablets you can get from China running old versions of Android as opposed to comparing it to the more expensive iPad Mini. At the end of the day, that's a perception issue more than anything else.

I personally can't wait.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
How to get out of this deal with the devil jolla? Sent mail without response.

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund