\begin{humour}

As usual localizer don't get karma and are not included in this sort of program

/me going back to do some dirty localization work.

\end{humour}

For the happy who will get a device, make some nice apps that will convince us to buy this device.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to filip For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I may have missed this info, but: The devices we talk about here for the contibutors: Are they localized (read: keyboard layout according to region) or will it be one size fits all?

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Being devices for developers I wouldn't be surprised that they have default English keyboard, but you can ask to the N900 program address specified in the email invitationl.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 34 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Platania (CZ), ITALY
Hi,
recent years the allocation of the discount code was not so!

Many of us are interested of Maemo and Nokia Internet tablet for a long time .. since the time of the Nokia 770

I like many others we follow much of the talk and maemo, writing many posts on our blog in mother language (my rafanto.net is in Italian).

Our karma than many others , will increase only when participating in discussions on talk and not with our work & post in blog , because it is not inserted into the maemo planet feed as it is not in English.

"in my opinion " we also forward "in small part" (nel nostro piccolo) the community of maemo.

I therefore believe that many contributors to this choice can be cut off

for example if you search on google.it content tagged with maemo and Nokia Internet Tablet,surely you will be directed towards my blog rafanto.net, is a point of reference for many italian maemo user

I do not think therefore that the choice of reserving the discount code members with more than 200 karma is right.

I do not want to make a speech myself but I wanted to express my personal opinion
email: antoniodicello[at]gmail[dot]com
blog: http://rafanto.net

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rafanto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 369 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Virginia
Quim.....I wondered if a person could maybe use their discount for the benefit of another. I meant this in the most sincere way possible - I'm not trying to suggest that folks cheat Nokia or betray their trust with this program.

Simply, if somebody can afford the retail price of the device, yet receives a discount offer, would it be possible for them to voluntarily donate their discount to another community member that wishes to get involved in dev work but cannot afford the full price (student etc).

No profiteering, no discount 'bazaar', just an honest, generous donation of a discount - gratis. You get to feel good inside

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
@Hogwash: why don't you just trade the device for the same price with the other community member who can't afford it?

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 369 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Virginia
@debernardis - I am not eligible for the discount (I'm a noob here), I was just thinking out loud....but if I was eligible, I wouldn't want to expose myself to real-life contact with people I don't really know. I would much rather voluntarily surrender my discount to another community member I deem worthy, and let them make the purchase through the proper Nokia channel like everyone else.

Originally Posted by Hogwash View Post
Simply, if somebody can afford the retail price of the device, yet receives a discount offer, would it be possible for them to voluntarily donate their discount to another community member that wishes to get involved in dev work but cannot afford the full price (student etc).
Why make things complicated? Simply donate the price difference, it amounts to the same thing.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
If any developers need a Google Voice invite, see this thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=33030

I have one Google Voice invite left. I gave two away yesterday. I'm saving the last one for some who has contributed significantly to Maemo.

Posts: 480 | Thanked: 378 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Chicago-ish
I was happy to see one of these e-mails in my inbox a couple days ago. Glad to see I've been invited to take advantage of the discount. However, the one question I've seen unanswered is what the price will actually be in US Dollars (I understand you're working on it, quim).

I really do appreciate the discount, though! It's a great gesture on Nokia's part, and I think it shows real involvement with the community. Unfortunately... I just don't have $450 to spare, if that is the final price :/

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TrueJournals For This Useful Post: