Active Topics

Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
It looks like Jolla plans to limit the number of cover actions to only one in Sailfish 2.0, at least for default applications (see this commit).

I personally use both cover actions very often (especially in the web browser) and consider it one of the best features of Sailfish OS.

I think that this issue deserves some visibility, so if you share this view, please vote here:
https://together.jolla.com/question/...sailfishos-20/
Seems pointless limitation, i wonder what is the reasoning behind this change. I, too, am often using all available cover actions of an app, two in case of quasarmx, for example.

The Following User Says Thank You to veeall For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
I think that this issue deserves some visibility, so if you share this view, please vote here:
https://together.jolla.com/question/...sailfishos-20/
And, in what turns out to have been a self-destructive attempt to remove all my karma, I've gone ahead and taken the opposite point of view -- that Jolla should go ahead and start walking back from the concept of integrating widget functionality and app management into a single interface.

I don't personally use a lot of widgets on my N900 or my Android, but I do understand the value of having a small, highly-available interface to a frequently-used bit of functionality. I also highly appreciate the ability to see what apps are running in the background, and easily manage them. And yes, I do like keeping these two tasks separate; there are only a very few apps I want to control as widgets, so I see no need to try and give widget controls to every single app. Moreover, forcing those apps to constrain their interface to just two switches is quite limiting.

So yeah, I would like to see full widget functionality in Sailfish, and see no need to try and force that kind of functionality into the running apps screen. And yeah, that means you can go ahead and vote my answer down at that TJC question.

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Was mine the only upvote, then?

Widgets are supposed to be "outdated", but you can see a lot of demand for them even on such a "progressive" OS as Sailfish (MeeCast and Media Controls to name just two most popular ones).
I also happen to find the Sailfish cover controls rather confusing and non-intuitive so I do not use them but I believe that is something that a bit of practice could sort out.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Was mine the only upvote, then?
Actually, the karma system there is kind of odd; I looked at that little graph they give you, and while it now records more than two dozen downvotes (subtracting 10 points for each), there are an odd set of upvotes -- one for 2 points, one for 10 points, and one for 15 points. However, the overall Karma score has changed by a value divisible by 10, so I can only assume that there's something wrong with this list.

So really, I have no clue how many up/down votes there have been. So far, though, the vote total rests at -23. (Edit: and still dropping...)

It'll be interesting to see if I get completely booted off the system for advocating widgets.

Last edited by Copernicus; 2015-02-16 at 10:12.

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
It looks like Jolla plans to limit the number of cover actions to only one in Sailfish 2.0, at least for default applications (see this commit).
Utterly stupid. I used to use the media controls a lot to skip tracks. They seem to have ditched that for play/pause. Also refreshing mail though maybe less important if they fix IMAP IDLE.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
What kind of solution do you use to play music on your Jolla phone? Is there a Android player that does work? I know I can use native players but they're buggy or lacking many features that I need. Many Android apps do have the features I need but I can't get them to work.

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by sillycrimes View Post
What kind of solution do you use to play music on your Jolla phone? Is there a Android player that does work? I know I can use native players but they're buggy or lacking many features that I need. Many Android apps do have the features I need but I can't get them to work.
There are so many native players, I don't see the need for an Android one...

I am seriously wondering which features you are missing (for example) in Quasar MX:
https://www.meteorasoftworks.com/

PS: I personally use CuteSpot, the default Media Player and Jam I am currently (unwillingly) back on the N900, but the music player situation on Jolla was sufficient at the very least.

Last edited by nodevel; 2015-03-14 at 17:19.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 461 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Bilbao (Basque Country [Spain])
I'd like a player which support load folders recursively and not needing the **** tracker, and remember the playlist and it's position when I close and reopen it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to malkavian For This Useful Post:
There are so many native players, I don't see the need for an Android one...

I am seriously wondering which features you are missing (for example) in Quasar MX:
https://www.meteorasoftworks.com/

PS: I personally use CuteSpot, the default Media Player and Jam I am currently (unwillingly) back on the N900, but the music player situation on Jolla was sufficient at the very least.
There are a number of annoying things with that player. Quasar MX cannot read disc number tags so you have to switch to sort by location if you want to listen to albums with multiple disc so they're properly sorted, it doesn't pause automatically when you recieve calls or any other audible notification, you cannot queue music and there are some weird bugs that causes the music to be sorted wrongly. The default media play is even worse So I thought I could use Poweramp or a simliar player but they won't work properly.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sillycrimes For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by sillycrimes View Post
There are a number of annoying things with that player. Quasar MX cannot read disc number tags so you have to switch to sort by location if you want to listen to albums with multiple disc so they're properly sorted, it doesn't pause automatically when you recieve calls or any other audible notification, you cannot queue music and there are some weird bugs that causes the music to be sorted wrongly. The default media play is even worse So I thought I could use Poweramp or a simliar player but they won't work properly.
Thanks for the thorough description - it would be good to send it to the developer, I believe he would appreciate the feedback.

I don't use Quasar MX myself, but it seemed to me it has pretty much every possible feature it can have (much more than I needed). I am not a fan of the default player either, but I use CuteSpot most of the time anyways, so it's enough for occasional use.

EDIT: I sent the link to this discussion to the developer, so I hope he will read it.

Last edited by nodevel; 2015-03-14 at 18:07.

The Following User Says Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience