Notices

Posts: 1,918 | Thanked: 3,118 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ My pants
Hey community,
Is there any proxy-enabled web browsers such as the opera mini available for the N900's maemo OS? Opera mini as well as Skyfire were great on my N97 for opening blocked facebook.com over here.
p.s. I didn't find this posted in any other threads but if it was then sorry for the new post.

Opera mobile has optional support for their "compression technology".

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 38 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Bangalore, India

My specific issue is bout opening blocked sites such as facebook.com (in my place) using any proxy enbled web browser such as the opera mini that I used to have on my N97. I can't find any web browsing app able to do that, perhaps if anybody knows help is appreciated

The two posters above you, gave the answer.

User Opera for Maemo 5 and enable the optional "compression technology" (aka Opera proxy).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to giannoug For This Useful Post:
Posts: 397 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sydney
Probably the last resort type answer before making your own browser :P (if all else fails) but you can install Easy Debian and then set the proxy in ice weasel (rebranded firefox).

You can also use firefox mobile and then navigate to "about:config" which will bring the firefox settings, then manually enter the proxy details (should be network.proxy.http etc, maybe set it on a desktop and then copy the same changes over). Only issue is I don;t know how to turn on the proxy in firefox... just set it Maybe I missed it somewhere in the settings.

EDIT: its under Network.Proxy.Type set it to 1 to enable the proxy.

BTW I haven't actually tried all this (as i don't know a working proxy at the moment) but it should work if its all there like the desktop version.

Last edited by Blaizzen; 2010-11-04 at 11:40. Reason: More information

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
facebook is blocked in australia?

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by Blaizzen View Post
you can install Easy Debian and then set the proxy in ice weasel (rebranded firefox).
OP wants to browse via a public proxy similar to how opera mini works (it requests web pages through Opera Software's servers, which process and compress them before sending them to the mobile phone). You can already configure http proxy in standard maemo (via Internet Connection settings) so no need for Easy Debian and iceweasel. In any case configuring a proxy will not be much use if the OP doesn't have a proxy server to point to

Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
More countries should do the same

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
Unforunately

Thx guyz but I still can't find it