Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
you can't speak for other people Jalyst.

I don't understand what you are trying to do here.Is it official or just a precaution? Have nokia pulled the plug yet(new year)?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Re-read my prior post, typo...

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
I don't understand what you are trying to do here.Is it official or just a precaution?
In a nutshell they're trying to setup a self-governing legal entity, which has proper separation of powers, so that corruption/nepotism can be minimized etc.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-08-27 at 15:31.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Do not really knwo where to place that, so I ask here:
I think the council is aware of that, but I cannot remember of a statement, if we are going to keep bugs.maemo.org open?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Noted for the next meeting with Nemein.

We are still struggling to gain administrative rights over the current infrastructure and the process is being painful. Hopefully, the creation of the NFP should speed up the transition.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
FYI: Part of this is due to the drop in personnel at Nokia. The current operator at Nemein has been having problems getting connected with people inside Nokia that used to handle getting these done. (They always got them from Nokia, as Nokia has an agreement with a current signing authority.)

There's a good chance that once things move over to the NFP we will have to purchase as set of SSL certificates. In reality, the "security" issue is pretty null. All it means is you have to accept that the certificate is out of date and store that exception. Once you do, that one certificate will continue to work until it's replaced or corrupted.

The Following User Says Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Isn't it possible to delay or overcome purchasing SSL certificates? Totally wild guess (haven't checked current prices), but it seems that they're not cheap, and as said, security issue is null. doesn't sound like first need, unless we're going to bath in money from donations it could wait.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

These days one can get free-beer certificates from organisations like CAcert or StartSSL. Bonus points for publishing appropriate TLSA records.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by lma View Post
These days one can get free-beer certificates from organisations like CAcert or StartSSL. Bonus points for publishing appropriate TLSA records.
While true, there are limits on the use of the "free" certs they make. Realistically, a 2 year cert for *.maemo.org can be had for under $50, which isn't going to break the bank. And if we're skimming that close to the edge while trying to keep servers up and running... Yes, this will be low priority, but it should be on the list none the less.

The Following User Says Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
The question is - are the "limits" on free certs painful for us, or totally irrelevant for maemo.org? Even if it's cheap to get non-free cert, we shouldn't waste any amount of money, where not necessary, be it 50$ or 500$.

In short, are free certs feasible enough for us? If no, why so?

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Any certificate is fine as far as I'm concerned, as long as we have one, and it's verifiable.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:

Tags
goodbye nokia, responsibility