Active Topics

Posts: 436 | Thanked: 298 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ England
hi all,
is it possible to increase the volume the speaker output sends?

the reason i want to do this is i connect my N900 to my car stereo using the headphone out jack plug on my n900 to the aux in on my car stereo... whenever i make a phone call and use the audio sent to my car speakers i have to turn my car stereo volume up from 10 to about 20 to be able to hear the person i am speaking to .... when i end the call and turn my car stereo back to 'radio' or 'cd' it blasts my ears off if i forget to turn it down first! it would also be much easier not having to turn my car stereo volume up in the first place!!!

can anyone help????

Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
I think you should change the title of your thread to 'Help me use the search facility'.

Look for a thread called 'Boost N900'.

thanks for pointing me in the right direction ames .... looks like it will help me acheive my goal but ..... i get stuck on direction number 4 on the install process instructions....can you help?????... im a noob to this

Sure, no problem.

Install these 2 apps from the repositories

1. rootsh
2. filebox

Once installed, open filebox, click settings and tick
'Enable root access'

Exit filebox

Open filebox and navigate to the folder containing MakeBackups.sh
Click tools then click 'Open terminal here'
Then type into terminal
Code:
sh MakeBackups.sh
I'm sure you can do the rest from here.
If you get stuck just post back and I'll try my best to help you.

The Following User Says Thank You to James_Littler For This Useful Post:
reading through the boostn900 posts it looks like some people are having bad times with boostN900 .... i did see the alsamixer bit and loaded it up .... my headphone volume is set at 0 at the moment ... if i increase it would that help solve my problem do you think?

Lots of the early posts are now not really relavant. have a look at the last few pages, (before the battery life dispute).

As to your question about headphone volume, that really is a question for the Boost N900 thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to James_Littler For This Useful Post:
I put a bug on bugzilla about the headphone volume. Some of the boostn900 stuff helped a little but not much.

There is bug with the headphone volume, in which the dB gain values remain at 88% when they should always be at 100%. I could go into a lot of the other technical problems I observed with pulse audio, but thats not the point of this thread.

A simple work around to the headphone bug, for the time being is to use this command.

amixer set headphone 100%

to get the headphone dB gain values back up to 100%.

The problems with this however is, percentage resets to 88% when, you either unplug your headphones, make a phone call, use the volume keys. etc, etc. There's many things that triggers a drop.

To combat this you'd have to manually make a widget using either queen beecon, or desktop execution widget to issue the command.

amixer set headphone 100%

each time headphone resets to 88%, which is still highly annoying

God knows I tried everything to combat that cursed bug, i even tried redirecting pulse audio streams and files to no avail. But I haven't given up just yet. lol

Use this command to have a fair idea of what I'm speaking about (and plug in your headphones):

alsamixer -c0

when i go into alsamixer (alsamixer -c0) i can increase headphone volume up from 0 (dB gain= -59.50) up to 100% (db gain= -5.40) and it does exactly what i want.

it seems to keep the volume set at 100% level when i take out the headphone jack then back in but it resets to 0 after I reboot .... is there any way to hard save this setting???

aaarrrghhhh this is winding me up ...... have installed boostn900 but it didnt improve headphone audio at all .... does anyone know how to save volume level for headphones using lsamixer -c0 ????

why is something so simple roving to be so hard?