Posts: 286 | Thanked: 615 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Estonia
I used to keep up my N900 system up-to-date with commands "apt-get update" and "apt-get -f dist-upgrade" - especially after appearance of CSSU

But now "apt-get -f dist-upgrade" or "apt-get dist-upgrade" can't be used because of: " Calculating upgrade... Failed The following packages have unmet dependencies: upstart: PreDepends: sysvinit-utils (>= 2.86.dsl-23) or busybox (>= 3:1.6.1.legal-1osso8) but it is not going to be installed E: Error... "

For about a month ago I had to disable for the same reason the maemo.org extras-testing repository which I used to have enabled.

I do not like the idea to disable also the maemo.org repository

Shouldn't such packages with unmet dependencies been kept outside of extras (and extras-testing) repository?

Last edited by acrux; 2011-04-04 at 12:28.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by acrux View Post
I used to keep up my N900 system up-to-date with commands "apt-get update" and "apt-get -f dist-upgrade" - especially after appearance of CSSU

But now "apt-get -f dist-upgrade" or "apt-get dist-upgrade" can't be used because of: " Calculating upgrade... Failed The following packages have unmet dependencies: upstart: PreDepends: sysvinit-utils (>= 2.86.dsl-23) or busybox (>= 3:1.6.1.legal-1osso8) but it is not going to be installed E: Error... "

For about a month ago I had to disable for the same reason the maemo.org extras-testing repository which I used to have enabled.

I do not like the idea to disable also the maemo.org repository

Shouldn't such packages with unmet dependencies been kept outside of extras (and extras-testing) repository?
You should never do "apt-get dist-upgrade" on the N900 - the repositories are not maintained in a fashion to allow this to work.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
You should never do "apt-get dist-upgrade" on the N900 - the repositories are not maintained in a fashion to allow this to work.
On the other hand, I occassionally run apt-get upgrade and it seems to work ok.

And FWIW after reading this thread I tried running apt-get install upstart and got a message saying I already had the latest version installed.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
On the other hand, I occassionally run apt-get upgrade and it seems to work ok.

And FWIW after reading this thread I tried running apt-get install upstart and got a message saying I already had the latest version installed.
upgrade is fine as that holds back any packages which might cause issues. dist-upgrade will ignore those issues and trust that the repository is set up in such a way that the issues will go away when all the updating is completed. Its sole purpose is to do upgrades between major releases of the distribution, where various packages are replaced, renamed, etc. and there's no way to upgrade without going through stages where the system is not 100% consistent.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
Hmm, as a quite long time linux user I thought that this is the most correct way to upgrade a linux distribution...

Is that limitation limited to maemo.org repositories or to all maemo repositories?

Well, it worked perfectly until that "upstart" package appeared at first in extras-testing and now in extras...

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by acrux View Post
Hmm, as a quite long time linux user I thought that this is the most correct way to upgrade a linux distribution...

Is that limitation limited to maemo.org repositories or to all maemo repositories?

Well, it worked perfectly until that "upstart" package appeared at first in extras-testing and now in extras...
Debian is only one linux distribution. It supports stable branches of software, also called distribution, to confuse things even more. The dist-upgrade command was intended to upgrade a whole distribution from one to another, like from maemo to harmattan. The working path to upgrade is the 'apt-get upgrade' command.

Yes, i know, there are linux distribution, that try to roll the release, by continuously upgrading the database, but Maemo does not work that way.

Originally Posted by michaaa62 View Post
... but Maemo does not work that way.
OK, thanks So I'm lucky that I have not broken my Maemo5 and in the future just use "apt-get upgrade"

But anyway I do not understand why the stable(maemo.org) repository contains a package with broken dependencies...

If you want to further discuss your situation, please post the output of
Code:
apt-cache policy upstart sysvinit-utils busybox
If apt does ask about held packages, please also add
Code:
dpkg --get-selections | grep hold

Last edited by michaaa62; 2011-04-04 at 14:13.

Originally Posted by michaaa62 View Post
If you want to further discuss your situation, please post the output of
Code:
apt-cache policy upstart sysvinit-utils busybox
home/user # apt-cache policy upstart sysvinit-utils busybox
upstart:
Installed: 0.3.8-67+0m5
Candidate: 0.3.8-67+0m5
Version table:
*** 0.3.8-67+0m5 0
500 https://downloads.maemo.nokia.com ./ Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
sysvinit-utils:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: (none)
Version table:
busybox:
Installed: 3:1.10.2.legal-1osso30+0m5
Candidate: 3:1.10.2.legal-1osso30+0m5
Version table:
*** 3:1.10.2.legal-1osso30+0m5 0
500 https://downloads.maemo.nokia.com ./ Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

There is no sysvinit-utils package anymore, if there ever was one(?), in the repos.
But i am also clueless, why this blocks dist-upgrades, while you have the latest busybox and upstart installed. This seems to be normal behaviour, since i would run in a similiar issue, dist-upgrading.
So lets just upgrading with
Code:
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

The Following User Says Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post: