Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
This is just a quick announcement for those of you who have not ran into this problem yet or don't watch the bug tracker.

It is currently not possible to send files via the file manager on Maemo 5. Sending certain content (i.e. images or contacts) is possible via the "Share" button in relevant applications, but not from the file manager.

This effectively disallows you to send files like .txt, etc.. directly from the file manager to other Bluetooth devices, and makes it cumbersome to send supported files from the file manager (i.e. for photos you would have to open the image viewer, navigate to the file and then use the "Share" feature).

According to Andre, this is not planned for Fremantle - maybe enough votes would help that feature get implemented.

If you want to be able to send files from the file manager via Bluetooth on Maemo 5, please get your voice heard and vote for the bug on Maemo Bugzilla: https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5300

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 76 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Seattle
Done and done.

The Following User Says Thank You to joeD For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Guys this needs lot more attention than it is getting. I would hate to lose functionality and the n900 ending up as useful as the iphone

Please vote and nokia....this is important!

The Following User Says Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
In the meantime: Would it be difficult to create a "Bluetooth send" application, maybe combined with "Browse remote device"?

It's still not as good as integration in the file manager, but it would get the job done. Start application, select file, select device, send. (could even be a desktop widget,)

BTW: Is it only "Send to" thats missing or also the ability to browse BT-devices?

Oh, yes: I voted of course.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Ugh. Do i really have to create yet a third maemo.org account for bugzilla?

Voted! Maybe we need to vote for "one login bug"..heheh

Posts: 369 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Virginia
The vast majority of us don't have the device yet....I have no idea what you're talking about. Maybe it'll be fixed upon release?

I'm certainly not going to parrot whatever the fsck you say

I use the filemanager to send files via BT all the time in the old operating system. For example, vcard files for our internal company phone list. This feature must not be removed from later OS versions just because of sheer ignorance about what people use it for.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
It's not ignorance, it was more like priority settings, I think...

The Following User Says Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I was on the bus with a friend and we wanted to trade songs but I couldn't find any way to transfer via Bluetooth. Now I know why.

Wow. This is about as bad for Bluetooth as forgetting the address bar would be for the browser. I can't believe this has been left out.

Just a reminder that for images, you can indeed send via Bluetooth using the Sharing button. No such luck for anything else.

Last edited by zerojay; 2009-10-14 at 14:26.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:

Tags
bluetooth, bug, file sharing, fremantle