Posts: 27 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on May 2012 @ France
Originally Posted by Wizzup_ View Post
Image coming out today.
I can't wait

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kinchan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 173 | Thanked: 512 times | Joined on Jul 2018 @ Guatemala
Seems the newer .img of Leste is out...
https://maedevu.maemo.org/images/pinephone/20200223/

Last edited by carlosgonz; 2020-02-24 at 00:35.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to carlosgonz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 27 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on May 2012 @ France
it's a real pleasure to see maemo on the pinephone!
I made some tests, everything works except the wifi connection. Thanks you Wizzup_!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kinchan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 173 | Thanked: 512 times | Joined on Jul 2018 @ Guatemala
Originally Posted by kinchan View Post
it's a real pleasure to see maemo on the pinephone!
I made some tests, everything works except the wifi connection. Thanks you Wizzup_!
Yes Maemo 7 looks Amazing!!!. WLAN worked to me, I tested with a open wifi.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to carlosgonz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Wizzup_ View Post
Image coming out today.
I listened to LateNightLinux, they talked about all the alpha images available for the PinePhone, but Maemo Leste was not amongst them!
I dropped them a note.
Also on other podcasts/forums (Linux, Android-alternatives, Security) I noticed that people are not aware of Maemo Leste. I think it's time to give it more publicity!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
Hi, over at pine64 there's a thread discussing debian+phosh on the PinePhone Braveheart, which as of writing got a lot of views (about 5000). People will be excited for Debian/Devuan on the Pinephone, I believe, myself included. So I didn't know anything about the architecture of Maemo until I found out that it is based on Devuan!

I already let them know about Maemo, but someone should reach out to them: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=9016

I think the Maemo ui is already excellent, but it seems like it would be fairly achievable to port phosh packages to debian-arm64 and have phosh be an optional desktop environment.

Hope more developers step forward, I'm so excited for Maemo on the PinePhone I might need to open up my schedule to learn how to port and build packages now...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to buffer For This Useful Post:
Should I tell people that feedback should go all in here and IRC? There is a section for Maemo in the pine64 forum that looks very empty.

Updated Maemo Leste entry on Pine64 wiki. Lifted feedback from an old edit so you can see it:

"A few remarks based on the 20200223 build:

Default virtual keyboard currently only works with gtk2 applications(not yet in gtk3 and qt, but this is coming)

Default virtual keyboard is set to off. You may want to go to setting and change that first for using the terminal. Click the top left corner->"Settings"->"Text input"->check the "Use virtual keyboard" option. You may also want to change the keyboard layout by changing the dictionary setting.

WiFi and terminal work.

Screen brightness adjustments in UI does not work. There is also a user reported when "brightness" UI setting is set to minimum (no visual change normally), the screen will stay black after reboot with WiFi set to ON with kill switch. However screen is normal after reboot if WiFi set to OFF with kill switch even minimum "brightness" UI setting. You may still change the screen brightness with command.
e.g. "xrandr --output DSI-1 --brightness 0.5"

There is rendering bug so default desktop orientation is landscape (xrandr -o right). Please note that if orientation is changed (e.g. with "xrandr -o normal") the ui will still be reading original key positions."

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=9303

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=9237

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to buffer For This Useful Post:
I have updated the Wiki with instructions within this thread about how to build the images https://leste.maemo.org/Image_Builder

Next step would probably be to add this to the README.md on Github

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to buffer For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by buffer View Post
I didn't know anything about the architecture of Maemo until I found out that it is based on Devuan!
Maemo Leste is (currently) based on Devuan, not older versions of Maemo.
You should read up on the history of Maemo itself, and why a desktop environment & so many applications already exist.

Most people here probably hope for Maemo Leste to work on a phone that is running an older version of Maemo already. The Pinephone is a fairly recent addition to the list of supported devices.

Did you say you edited this page? I still don't see actual installation instructions there? Compare to the N900 page.

Anyhow, welcome to talk.maemo.org, buffer!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nonsuch View Post
Maemo Leste is (currently) based on Devuan, not older versions of Maemo.
You should read up on the history of Maemo itself, and why a desktop environment & so many applications already exist.

Most people here probably hope for Maemo Leste to work on a phone that is running an older version of Maemo already. The Pinephone is a fairly recent addition to the list of supported devices.

Did you say you edited this page? I still don't see actual installation instructions there? Compare to the N900 page.

Anyhow, welcome to talk.maemo.org, buffer!
Yes, PinePhone itself is a new device in testing stages and isn't shipped with a default OS yet.

I did my research, but it's fair to be precise. Old Maemo is based on Debian.

Updated with installation instructions. https://leste.maemo.org/PinePhone#Installation

Build instructions are here: https://leste.maemo.org/Image_Builder

In other news, the sha256sum on the .xz image doesn't match its corresponding .sha file. Also, it would be helpful if it was named .sha256 so I wouldn't have to guess.

The sha256sum on the .tar.gz image does match.

And I dd'd the .tar.gz in the usual way, but it did not boot. Neither did untaring it work. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by buffer; 2020-03-04 at 05:49. Reason: link

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to buffer For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemo 7, pine phone