I'd be surprised if a bunch of Chinese vendors don't give it a whirl before the end of the year. I think it'll be quite a compelling alt OS (to Android / iOS) when the desktop mode is pushed out in Q4.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
I'd be surprised if a bunch of Chinese vendors don't give it a whirl before the end of the year. I think it'll be quite a compelling alt OS (to Android / iOS) when the desktop mode is pushed out in Q4.
Desktop mode is an intressting concept... But Why would It be used?

I can't take an Os serious until they have atleast one native major streaming service for music and movies. Then you know they have succeeded.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
A proper desktop mode, ie one that can run full desktop programs as-is would be, for me, the holy grail of mobile devices. And frankly that would be the only reason to buy an "ubuntu" phone, otherwise I don't see it having any competitive advantages over its competitors at this point in time. With all the hardware capabilities in a modern phone, it's just wasted in only running a "mobile" OS. Give it decent onboard storage (64GB at least), one or two microSD slots and it's more powerful than many entry level notebooks.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
A proper desktop mode, ie one that can run full desktop programs as-is would be, for me, the holy grail of mobile devices. And frankly that would be the only reason to buy an "ubuntu" phone, otherwise I don't see it having any competitive advantages over its competitors at this point in time. With all the hardware capabilities in a modern phone, it's just wasted in only running a "mobile" OS. Give it decent onboard storage (64GB at least), one or two microSD slots and it's more powerful than many entry level notebooks.
As a surface pro 2 owner I have full desktop experience in Tablet, get it into a phone will give you lots of challenges to solve heat is one...navigation one in such a small screen. I'm sure it will take more than 6 month until we have a excellent solution in any phone...(talking obout full desktop)

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post

I can't take an Os serious until they have atleast one native major streaming service for music and movies. Then you know they have succeeded.
Use the destop version of Opera / Chrome for Ubuntu, then, and voila - you have Netflix on Ubuntu Phone.

Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
Use the destop version of Opera / Chrome for Ubuntu, then, and voila - you have Netflix on Ubuntu Phone.
Does it really work?

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Only company who'll come close (a least) this year, is MS; as much as it pains me to admit that.
As much as I hate to say this, I think you're right. I have a tablet running Windows 8.1 that I got from a coworker, and it makes me really sad that we don't yet have a great tablet UI for Linux yet.

The Jolla Tablet UI looks like it'll be the first, but it's proprietary and doesn't have a desktop component. Plasma Active looks very interesting, but development seems to have slowed as the KDE devs focus on the core of Plasma 2.

I think Ubuntu will likely be the first with a usable UI for both, but it's still a ways away.

I should really learn some QML so I can help out with some of these...

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Anyone claiming they'll have -mostly- solved the mobile/desktop dynamic switching puzzle by the end of this year, is selling snake-oil at best.
I have solved it... but its not for sale :P

MS hasn't solved it. And they aren't even close. They need a visionary.
In short, they need someone like Steve Jobs.
Someone with an iron-hand who will overlook everything, and bring everything cohesive and together.

They basically need one UI that works for things from watches, phones, tablets, laptops, all-in-ones, to TV's.

MS wants that but is far off. (Band, WP, RT, W10, XB1)
Apple is closer to that. (Watch, iOS, OSX, A-TV)
But the closest is Google. (Wear, Android, Chromium, TV)

I'm flattered

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
I have solved it... but its not for sale :P

MS hasn't solved it. And they aren't even close. They need a visionary.
In short, they need someone like Steve Jobs.
Someone with an iron-hand who will overlook everything, and bring everything cohesive and together.

They basically need one UI that works for things from watches, phones, tablets, laptops, all-in-ones, to TV's.

MS wants that but is far off. (Band, WP, RT, W10, XB1)
Apple is closer to that. (Watch, iOS, OSX, A-TV)
But the closest is Google. (Wear, Android, Chromium, TV)
That is not what we are talking about here. We are talking about full desktop env on a phone...nothing more nothing less. Not clocks, freezers, tvs, cars or biking computers...

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Indeed. Nokia came the closest to that. I am typing this reply on one. It is called Nokia N900. No one has come closer to a real desktop environment before or since.