Posts: 90 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Sep 2006 @ Bucuresti, Romania
This is an extension of ericcmi's Pulse audio client/server in NIT idea. The idea is to add an audio service discovery in networks using mDNS or uPnP, and wizards to enable easy configuration of audio streaming in networks.

The scope is to drive all audio in a network to a mobile device, which is usually carried by the owner when he leaves the desk, especially in an office enviornment. This would allow continous audio interface with desktop computers even when away from them, without disturbance to other people in the same space.

The goal is to enable continous music playback, or driving advanced features like better audio notifications from desktop computers (audio messages using text-to-speech when finishing long tasks).

Brainstorm link: http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...ng_in_network/

Last edited by qgil; 2009-12-08 at 21:00.

Your request would already be fulfilled if PulseAudio wasn't so horribly broken. The package pulseaudio-module-extra contains module-native-protocol-tcp.so, but trying to load it fails.

On the desktop, I am using Kubuntu 9.10. I also tried running paprefs and checking "Make local sound devices available as DLNA...". This should be visible in the N900 media player, but it seems to fail silently and doesn't even open a new port on my desktop.

PulseAudio could be great, but so far all it's accomplished is screwing up my sound every time I upgrade.

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Sep 2006 @ Bucuresti, Romania
In fact, I just followed some Ubuntu instructions and started to succesfully move audio from a Ubuntu 9.10 box to a Windows 7 desktop. First part done.

I'm not sure how pulseaudio devices discover themselves on the network, but I intend to find out. I'll also start review pulseaudio server on N810, maybe I can start streaming to that.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Your Brainstorm proposal mixes the problem and potential solutions, while it has no solutions to vote. Please separate problems and solutions.

Just wondering whether Rygel would help you: http://live.gnome.org/Rygel