Posts: 3 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2017 @ Dortmund
If there is still someone out there.. and can hear my begging?

There are some buttons missing.

- when I tpe in a number, I cannot say send sms,
=> workaround is pain every time: pick up the phone, end the call, return to call register, open vcard, send sms.

- same when I pick someone from the contacts, there is missing the possibility to write directly sms.
=> Again: dial the number, end the call, return to call register, open vcard, send sms. pain, so much pain... -.-

That would be some thing essential, I guess. Is it just me who is not happy with it? I mean, or am I blind and have overseen an app, widget or plugin?

Cheers,
Lutz

p.s. Back the days I used to have this device. After all this years, it seems like no vendor cares about the possibility of the little pocket pcs. So this is why I am proud to be back on a N900. But it feels like a little bit empt in here.. hello echo! ... echo ... echo

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lutz_linux For This Useful Post:

=> workaround is pain every time: pick up the phone, end the call, return to call register, open vcard, send sms.

- same when I pick someone from the contacts, there is missing the possibility to write directly sms.
=> Again: dial the number, end the call, return to call register, open vcard, send sms. pain, so much pain... -.-

That would be some thing essential, I guess. Is it just me who is not happy with it? I mean, or am I blind and have overseen an app, widget or plugin?

Cheers,
Lutz

p.s. Back the days I used to have this device. After all this years, it seems like no vendor cares about the possibility of the little pocket pcs. So this is why I am proud to be back on a N900. But it feels like a little bit empt in here.. hello echo! ... echo ... echo

Cheers,
Lutz

A modern browser that can render all the web pages the N900 can't currently handle would be very useful to me.
As would a Nokia Maps replacement with the following features:
1.Renders vector maps live on the device (using OpenStreetMap data or something) and doesn't require either pre-downloading large amounts of map tiles or downloading such tiles on the fly over slow/expensive cellular data connections. Nokia Maps does this but its map data isn't exactly kept up-to-date.

2.Has a good database of locations/points of interest/businesses/landmarks/whatever and a good search for them (connecting to the internet to handle this database would be perfectly fine and in fact would allow the DB to be up-to-the-minute current). Much easier than having to search with Google to find the address then trying to use the clunky search interface in Nokia Maps to find the actual location and how to get there from where I am now.

3.Is able to use GTFS data (published by transit agencies) to render the locations of public transport stations/stops on the map and allow me to search for/locate a specific transit station/stop. GTFS-realtime support that can track and display the public transit vehicles near where I am looking or can follow along with whatever vehicle I am currently riding would be great as well.

The other thing I want is an upgrade for Fahrplan so it can use/display the mapping/routing data that its getting sent back in the JSON it gets gets back from the backend server for my transit agency (I was the one that added support for my agency to Fahrplan but I haven't been able to implement support for doing anything with the mapping data). More specifically something that can display the walking maps showing how to walk from where I am to the stop I need to be at, from one stop to another when transferring or from the final stop to my destination is what I would like.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by lutz_linux View Post
First of all, hello and welcome to TMO.
Second of all, you really do not need to triplicate your posts

(Yes, I know there is a design fault in the forum in that you do not get any feedback that your first post is in the queue, fooling you into posting again.)

Wow, you are right! After 5 years of using my N900 daily, nota bene for texting about 20x more than for calling, you have just shown me the use case I would never have even imagined attempting.

I have never in my life used typing the number straight in the home screen. When I want to make a call, I start the Phone app first. When I want to send an SMS, I start the SMS app first. I have both icons permanently on the desktop. Simples.

Really? And what is this, then?

Name:  Screenshot-20171106-100108.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  23.7 KB

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 770 | Thanked: 558 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Abidjan
Hi all, Jonwill is absolutely right.

A modern web browser is the key.

Maybe a way to update built in IM or create another one for google (Gtalk, hangout...), skype, facebook.

and whynot create applications for viber and whatsapp (even if a don't use whatsapp).

But once again we need a decent web browser and an updated map app (I had a pretty bad story using nokia maps in canada) so we could use the phone as main driver.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Boemien For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
An app for whatsapp will be best along with a modern web browser. I dont use N900 as my daily device anymore but i know many of the users need a whatsapp client for N900.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to panjgoori For This Useful Post:
Posts: 176 | Thanked: 190 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Italy
1) Telegram as a standalone app like Yappari
2) Updated and working Yappari
3) Updated browser
4) Updated map app (maybe by updating Waze?)

My N900 is taking dust because of missing 1 and 2

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to blackjack4it For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
I may use the N900 once again, if it had a usable web browser.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 89 | Thanked: 222 times | Joined on Jul 2013 @ Prague
1)Browser
2) Skype, Whatsapp, messenger working again
3) fixes for the once working apps such as Facebook, Linkedin
4)dropbox support again
5)maps or navi
6)photo upload support. i.e google photos
7) Pebble app support (yes I am serial dead end tech victim!)
8)google printer support/ air print
9) Huge community support for new ideas....

The Following User Says Thank You to glo-worm For This Useful Post: