Hi guys,

I've been on and off this forum since early July. I've become interested in purchasing a device that will let me listen to my music, watch my movies, surf the web smoothly (and hopefully with full Flash support), touchscreen, plenty of space or at least expandable, customizable/hackable, good battery life, and Bluetooth+GPS are nice but not essential.

I've been looking at the iPod Touch (once it's jailbroken, you can install many different useful programs because God knows you can only have so many flashlight apps), the Archos 5 (it's not open/hackable and it's still just released so I'm still waiting on good reviews for the device, but still very nice nonetheless), and finally the Nokia N810...

While I really like the Ipod and Archos, I keep coming back to the N810. I know that no device is perfect and each has their flaws, but there's something about the N810 that really attracts me to it. Only thing bothering me is that I have had the worst luck when it comes to buying gadgets. With the decreased prices of the N810 being seen from many webstores, you can only imagine that they are either not selling so well or there is a new one on its way.

So my question is: Are there any reliable rumors or any bits of information that a direct successor to the N810 is coming? Please, I don't want you guys thinking "Oh here we go with another one of these threads." But there are references to the N900 or N820 spread all around the forum and since I don't have the time to read through every thread, I wanted to bring it all together in this one thread.

Any help/information would be great. Thanks.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I don't think there are any reliable rumors. The big threads on the N900 would be the source of info. If anyone says anything authoritative-sounding I wouldn't believe it unless their name ended in rat.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
They're all LIES and RUMORS! Vicious LIES! Nothing has been leaked nor confirmed by anyone of credit from Nokia, as far as I know. As for the N900 thread, just like the initial post basically gets across: it's just nice to dream.. so what would you LIKE to see? It's not a hint that there's one coming--just a wishlist from a bunch of fanboys and fangirls (are there any here?) like us.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
They're all LIES and RUMORS! Vicious LIES! Nothing has been leaked nor confirmed by anyone of credit from Nokia, as far as I know. As for the N900 thread, just like the initial post basically gets across: it's just nice to dream.. so what would you LIKE to see? It's not a hint that there's one coming--just a wishlist from a bunch of fanboys and fangirls (are there any here?) like us.
Well, the best hints around are the numerous @nokia commits to linux-omap.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 129 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Austin, TX
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
If anyone says anything authoritative-sounding I wouldn't believe it unless their name ended in rat.
I hope you're not expecting anything from me. I'm just as clueless as everyone else!

With the previous versions of the Internet Tablets there has been a year between every update (Not counting the n810 wimax edition), so it is reasonabe to assume a new tablet before the end of this year.

[edit]
even the OS names suggest a yearly update scheme (OS2006, OS2007, OS2008) etc.
[/edit]

Last edited by iamthewalrus; 2008-09-06 at 10:07.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I was afraid there was another rat hanging around...

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I was afraid there was another rat hanging around...
In addition to the wiggly, jiggly rat above and the Lone Star rat you had in mind, there's also, at least, tabletrat and mrlanrat. The health department is going to bust Reggie for sure.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
Yes... The Nokia/maemo/Internet Tablet team is working their collective *** off on SOMETHING. That much is obvious. To us "outsiders," though, they're doing a good job hiding WHAT.

(sigh) At least we know they read these forums and hopefully take our desires into design consideration. I am anxious.

The Following User Says Thank You to thoughtfix For This Useful Post:
An official word from them would be great though, lol.

I'm planning on making my purchase late October, so I HOPE that something will be known by then. I'm in school now working my way up to be a computer engineer, and I have to travel between two campuses. But with the diversity of my classes (some are pure lectures while others are labs and such) and location, it's not so nice lugging around my laptop everywhere I go. So I'd pretty much like to have that all-in-one device minus the phone because I'm happy with my phone.