Notices

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
hell, it looks like it even plays nice with the tear-bookmarks panel, something i had a issue with when using a forked version of the proxy.

seriously, this should either be packed into dbus-switchboard, or in some other way be packed for ease of installation alongside tear!

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
I'll probably try again to integrate it in Tear.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tso View Post
hrmf, i wonder if the slowdowns i reported earlier was from webkit having made use of available ram, and eating its way into swap, at the same time as its trying to process a largeish website.

writes to SD seems to pretty much exclude all other activity while its going on...
It's not that it excludes activity, it's just that you don't notice swapping until tear itself is getting parts of itself swapped out and in. This after other unused programs have been swapped out. So, the CPU can't do anything because it's waiting for write to SD to complete so it can free up memory to complete tear's need for more memory. If you try switch to another app, you'll just be waiting for that app to be read back in from SD. Swap on SD/mmc/emmc/etc is very slow due to the nature of flash storage.

The Following User Says Thank You to shadowjk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
w00f another 1000 posts

Originally Posted by shadowjk View Post
It's not that it excludes activity, it's just that you don't notice swapping until tear itself is getting parts of itself swapped out and in. This after other unused programs have been swapped out. So, the CPU can't do anything because it's waiting for write to SD to complete so it can free up memory to complete tear's need for more memory. If you try switch to another app, you'll just be waiting for that app to be read back in from SD. Swap on SD/mmc/emmc/etc is very slow due to the nature of flash storage.
well i was basing it not only on swap experience, but also doing downloads direct to one of he SD cards.

in either case, doing anything but letting the writing go on undisturbed is just asking for a slow machine, or at worst having watchdog think things have hung and reboot the device...

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by tso View Post
hell, it looks like it even plays nice with the tear-bookmarks panel, something i had a issue with when using a forked version of the proxy.

seriously, this should either be packed into dbus-switchboard, or in some other way be packed for ease of installation alongside tear!
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
I'll probably try again to integrate it in Tear.
Sorry for being dense, but is the antecedent of "it" and "this" steven676's patches in posts #998 and 999?

I don't know what to do with a text file in this context. I'm willing to learn if it's worth it and you (generic you, anybody out there!) is willing to explain. OTOH, Bundyo, if you're going to integrate it anyway, I'm OK staying ignorant for now

(A tweak that kills off browserd when microb is closed ... oh, that alone sounds like a great advance!)

Well, there is already one newer release (though somewhat incomplete) for Fremantle

@GeraldKo, yes, that's it But the above post is not about that

Last edited by Bundyo; 2009-11-24 at 19:19.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Well, there is already one newer release (though somewhat incomplete) for Fremantle

@GeraldKo, yes, that's it But the above post is not about that
Oh-oh, Bundyo, you aren't going to abandon us poor Diablo users who need Tear so much more than those rich, spoiled Fremantle users, are you??

For Diablo, will you be incorporating those tweaks/patches?

"Yes, that's it " makes me wonder what's the "that" and what's the "it". Are you trying to get me into a Who's On First? dialogue??

Last edited by GeraldKo; 2009-11-25 at 03:33.

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Sorry for being dense, but is the antecedent of "it" and "this" steven676's patches in posts #998 and 999?

I don't know what to do with a text file in this context. I'm willing to learn if it's worth it and you (generic you, anybody out there!) is willing to explain. OTOH, Bundyo, if you're going to integrate it anyway, I'm OK staying ignorant for now

(A tweak that kills off browserd when microb is closed ... oh, that alone sounds like a great advance!)
the patch files where for browser-proxy.txt, and have already been integrated into the one linked to by xiojason.

if you look inside the txt file, you will see its actually a python script, with instructions for its use in the top section.

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Nope, not going to abandon you, but I need to get the Fremantle version in shape before I fix the Diablo one and update it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:

Tags
browserd fix, microb killer, webkit