Posts: 259 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Halifax, NS
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Open doesn't have anything to do with officially supporting certain hardware. What open does do is enable the community to step up and provide that support.
Support for... what? Software they can't get for 6 months? We work to pinpoint and file bugs... only to not be able to reap the benefits of the work...? Open should work two ways but it seems more like a suggestion dropbox. I guess I was kinda expecting a Debian-style instant gratification thing, with official releases being nice but unnecessary.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
My own vision is to use Mer as a base for a Fremantle backport to OMAP2 hardware, and why would that even be possible? Because of Nokia's openness.
Of course backport implies that it's second-class. Sure it's lower end hardware with less capabilities, but we like the hardware (except the camera of course! ). The screen is great, the mic is great, CPU is fine, wifi is very good, battery life awesome. It's software that's too often half-baked.

I know they're more open than most, and it has its advantages, but at the end of the day, we know the current gen devices are more and more likely to be orphaned the longer the release delays. Perfectly good hardware!

I was interested in Mer because it takes the power out of the Nokia camp and puts most of it in the Debian camp. They have been through this open thing already. They know how to make it work.

Posts: 259 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Halifax, NS
Originally Posted by pixelseventy2 View Post
Having to use Mac OS in the first place isn't being shafted enough? The way Jobs treats the fan-boys (who lap it up) looks like a good, hard shafting to me.
Wowww someone's brain's been washed real good!

Posts: 357 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Sunny England :)
Originally Posted by BoxOfSnoo View Post
Wowww someone's brain's been washed real good!
I've had an anti-apple bug up my *** since I did graphics at uni, and they forced the crappy macs on us, with it's stupid, patronising OS. Sorry.

Besides, mac bashing is just fun

Posts: 357 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Sunny England :)
why did the forum *** out my a-s-s?

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
in the end nokia is in this to sell hardware. and right now the market for tablets are being overrun by ipod touch and the oncoming mid's.

what irks tho is the thought that thhe software devs have fixes ready, maybe some thats easy to implement in diablo, but they seem to besitting on them rather then push them out by ssu because nokia management wants the focus directed towards the next hardware series.

things just go "fixed in fremantle" with no indication on how trivial or complex the fix may be.

aat times one may have gotten more info by tossing the report into a black hole...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
prudish americans?

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by tso View Post
prudish americans?
Americans hate donkeys.

EDIT: On the other hand, you can talk about your ARSE as much as you want.

And Now For An Etymology Lesson:
Until the late 18th century, "***" presumably had no profane meaning, and simply referred to the animal now mostly called donkey. Because of the increasingly non-rhotic nature of standard British English, "arse" was often rendered "***". However indirect evidence of the change from arse to *** traces back to 1785 (in euphemistic avoidance of *** "donkey" by polite speakers) and perhaps to Shakespeare, if Nick Bottom transformed into a donkey in "A Midsummer Night's Dream" (1594) is such a word-play. This usage was also adopted in America, which is why the word "arse" is not usually used in the United States. The age of Victorian propriety resulted in the renaming of the horse-like animal, changing the name to "donkey" (not recorded in English before 1785, slang, perhaps from dun "dull grey-brown," the form perhaps influenced by monkey, or possibly from a familiar form of Duncan, cf. dobbin) to avoid any improper inferences. Although before World War I they were similar, the English pronunciations of "***" /ęs/ and "arse" /ɑːs/ are now quite different apart from in American English speaking countries, although arse is commonly used in Atlantic Canada, west of the Ottawa river, *** is more idiomatic.

Last edited by qole; 2008-11-27 at 21:00. Reason: arse etymology

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
yes qole, we need something.
but neither I nor qwerty could get a fully buildable opengl stack together to start hacking from.
I managed to get the binaries up and running, but that really doesn't help.
You have to remember that you're going to be releasing this under Fremantle, so you should be using that set of libraries as much as possible. We'll probably have to run it in a chroot in Diablo.

Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
fpp,
if i had a 770 in my hands I would do my best to get liqbase working on it.
I simply cannot fly blind and do not know what problems need overcoming.
(though I do have a runlog someone sent me, but its still not quite the same)
Yes Gary, I know you're that dedicated, and it's good of you. But there are few others like you (John Costigan and the Canola team and maybe a couple more).

If OS2008HE were updated to match Diablo, pretty much *all* current apps would run on the 770 without their authors having to worry about it or even care. I think that would be a much saner situation.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
All this talk about the community back-porting fremantle doesn't help with the fact that nokia/maemo are closing bugs raised against chinook/diablo as fixed, when they are only fixed in firmware that won't be available on the hardware of the reporter.

"We've fixed the problem with your car, you just need to buy a new car to get the fix"
This is exactly the point. What they say by "fixed in Fremantle" is something like "No, we won't fix it, because this part will be replaced anyway on a different OS and we guess it'll probably work there. We won't spend any more time fixing the bug you have meanwhile."

The Right Thing to do would be to close these bugs as WONTFIX, because they're about Diablo and will not be fixed for Diablo.

There's not one single bug about Fremantle, so it's not logical to close them for Fremantle.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:

Tags
firmware, fremantle, rant