Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
There's a extension to the Jabber protocol that can be used to publish a users location:

http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/attic/jep-0080-0.8.html

I never see this "in the wild", probably because most Jabber clients are desktop clients and geolocation is not so interesting in this context.

Will the built in intant messenger include this as a showcase for GPS use?
If not: Would you use it if a future release of OS2008 would provide it?

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
You can use a program on the tablet called GeoJabber which takes your GPS info and broadcasts it through Jabber as... I think a status message or something similar. I haven't actually had a GPS to try it with yet.

It's a status bar icon, much like Geoclue.

Somebody pointed me to GeoJabber before; I'm not sure if I can try it, I dont see if it runs on my 770/OS2006. Doesnt say anything about requirements.

The point would be though to implement JEP-0080 in the tablets built-in IM client at least in OS2008. It would make both GPS and IM more useful even for new users who dont want to try installing 0.0.1-versions of software.

(OK, I'm assuming it's not built into the client; maybe it is after all? Hello, N810 users?)

Last edited by benny1967; 2007-11-02 at 14:26.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I doubt it. I'm not even really sure where it shows it or anything, but it could be interesting.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Hmmm... sounds very compelling. Zero definitely needs that N810 discount...

Hah... I know it would definitely be one of the things I'd fiddle with and attempt to support.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
It's a killer app, man!

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
I doubt it. I'm not even really sure where it shows it or anything, but it could be interesting.
The UI isnt easy. It could be as simple as giving showing the distance to the other user in the contacts applet in case both are online. Mine could show:

===========
| O zerojay (6220km)
| O Reggie
| O Texrat (0.02km)
|
===========

Lat/Lon/... would be available via some "details"-button.

Instead you could also just mark those within a certain range (symbol, bold letters, whatever) - maybe its not very interesting to know exactly how far people are away from me if its always more than 5km because they live on a different continent. Its only meaningful when they're within "hey, lets meet right now"-distance.

Ah, yes, and of course there has to be a map somewhere deeper in the UI that shows the avatars right where they are.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
The UI isnt easy. It could be as simple as giving showing the distance to the other user in the contacts applet in case both are online. Mine could show:

===========
| O zerojay (6220km)
| O Reggie
| O Texrat (0.02km)
|
===========

Lat/Lon/... would be available via some "details"-button.

Instead you could also just mark those within a certain range (symbol, bold letters, whatever) - maybe its not very interesting to know exactly how far people are away from me if its always more than 5km because they live on a different continent. Its only meaningful when they're within "hey, lets meet right now"-distance.

Ah, yes, and of course there has to be a map somewhere deeper in the UI that shows the avatars right where they are.
I'm not making my own Jabber client. That information need to be handled by the client in some way. It all depends on how it's sent by the server and so on. Maybe that info would show up tooltips... I don't know. It would be something to push Nokia to try to add... but we'll see.

Sure, as I said, the best place for this is to end up in Nokias standard IM client.

BTW: What do you mean by "how it's sent by the server"? Would a server need to know about all this? I thought that its enough if the two clients handle the information properly? (But I know nothing about XMPP except that I have to click to write a message )