Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
Is this not one of the occasions we could ask the Maemo Community to find out what's going on and if/how it can be solved? If it's that much of a big deal, let it go in the Ovi store for .99, that way Fabien can earn a bit more

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to richwhite For This Useful Post:
Posts: 383 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
Originally Posted by richwhite View Post
Is this not one of the occasions we could ask the Maemo Community to find out what's going on and if/how it can be solved? If it's that much of a big deal, let it go in the Ovi store for .99, that way Fabien can earn a bit more
I second that - Can the council help?

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello, New users start here, Community subforum , Beginners'wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If I can help with anything else, just ask!

The Following User Says Thank You to edgedemon For This Useful Post:
Who ported it to the iPhone, as its available for OS 4 on the iphone and it works quite well too, its one of the main apps I use on the N900 and have been waiting quite a while for a hildonized version

I third asking the council can they help on this too

The Following User Says Thank You to *Sonic* For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by richwhite View Post
This is not how things work. Fabien is not allowed to sell this program, since the authors of this program only allowed him to distribute their work under the terms of the GPL.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
Fabien is not allowed to sell this program, since the authors of this program only allowed him to distribute their work under the terms of the GPL.
The GPL doesn't prevent anyone from selling an application.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
The GPL doesn't prevent anyone from selling an application.
nope but in order to really get money instead of first one buying it and recompiling and packaging it to extras he has to change the license...
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by *Sonic* View Post
its one of the main apps I use on the N900 and have bieen waiting quite a while for a hildonized version
Wow, what an impressive piece of software, the Maemo 5 mobile version must be spectacular. Anyway, if these guys aren't gonna cough up their code, this could be a fun Maemoization project for this community. This has just moved to the head of my low priority queue.

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
nope but in order to really get money instead of first one buying it and recompiling and packaging it to extras he has to change the license...
It would be interesting though. If you sell a GPLed application for €0,90 or €2 in the store - would anyone find it worth the hassle to get hold of the sources, compile them, upload them to extras? keep them up to date as the original application evolves?

Also it would be even more interesting to see how the Ovi Store compares to Extras in attracting end users. Having the same application on both platforms, which one will consumers download from?

I'd try just that. It's the ideal setting. This guy already got more money for his work than he'll probably ever earn from selling it in the Ovi Store. If anyone can afford to try and sell GPLed software, it's him.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Wow, what an impressive piece of software, the Maemo 5 mobile version must be spectacular. Anyway, if these guys aren't gonna cough up their code, this could be a fun Maemoization project for this community. This has just moved to the head of my low priority queue.
We have no idea of knowing if it is spectacular or not as it hasnt been released to use mere mortals

Its my main app that I use outside of texts, then wireless tools and iperf etc

On the rare occasion I use it as a phone, but it wasnt the primary reason for me getting the N900 or I would have just stuck with my old 6130

The Following User Says Thank You to *Sonic* For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
It would be interesting though. If you sell a GPLed application for €0,90 or €2 in the store - would anyone find it worth the hassle to get hold of the sources, compile them, upload them to extras? keep them up to date as the original application evolves?

Also it would be even more interesting to see how the Ovi Store compares to Extras in attracting end users. Having the same application on both platforms, which one will consumers download from?

I'd try just that. It's the ideal setting. This guy already got more money for his work than he'll probably ever earn from selling it in the Ovi Store. If anyone can afford to try and sell GPLed software, it's him.
If I'm correct (my knowledge of the GPL is shaky) there's also nothing stopping anyone else from packaging up an existing GPL application and selling it as long you also re-distribute the source.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Tags
contest, innovators, stellarium