Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
The only difference I could imagine is whether or not it takes advantage of 64-bit instructions on Windows (I know it does on Linux and OS X). If you have a 64 bit processor (and most modern machines do), you might gain some benefit by running Linux.

BTW, I should also point out that while setting up a baseline profile H.264 codec in Handbrake will produce a quality video, it won't necessarily produce a perfect video. As gregoranderson pointed out, there are documents available which go into greater detail about how to fine-tune the conversion of a video.
I agree that gregorandersen's link go into fine-tune detail. I was just exploring if I could optimize display quality and file size without going into too much complexity.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by fidel View Post
I was just exploring if I could optimize display quality and file size without going into too much complexity.
With all the codecs, containers, converters, processors, and displays floating around today, that's a pretty tall order. Throw in the fact that the quality of the source video you start with and even the very content of the video can have a significant impact on your final display quality and file size, and I just don't think there is a good single strategy to follow.

Sometimes, just setting the codec to something the N900 likes, and fitting the resolution into 800x480 will give me a fine result. Sometimes, I need to play with the quality settings or framerate to eliminate jerkiness or dropped frames. Your mileage may vary.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fidel View Post
HTML Code:
The stock player will play flv files, so long as the content is playable,
flv files play on my windows machine not on my N900.
I meant ... playable on the N900 (i.e within device restrictions).

FLV files definitely play on the N900. If they won't on your device, perhaps you've accidentally uninstalled flash player or something's disabling it. FLV is just a container, the N900 can "read" them, the prohibiting problem will be the profile - the N900 only plays h.264 Baseline (66) level 3 (30 or 1.3).

Currently I use Firefoxe's "download helper" extension to convert my flv files to mp4 or mov. The mp4 quality is good. The mov quality is better although the file size is larger, but I have plenty of room on my N900. The conversion process runs from windows to DOS so it's relatively fast.
Is this possible on device?

Copernicus's settings on Handbrake produces a quality mp4. But since the conversion process runs on Windows, it takes a long time.

Would running the linux version of Handbrake be faster? Since I'm windows I'm not sure how to make a linux boot cd and get handbrake on there too.
Re: Getting linux:
- Try to clear some space on your HDD
- use a partition manager to create a new partition,
- download distro net install ISO (I've just started using Debian Squeeze ISO is ~200Mb),
- burn it to a cd,
- insert cd and run - assuming distro has win-installer
- stick distro it in your new partiton
... and you're away!
I was lucky enough to be able to clear a whole HDD so one's windows, the other's debian.

As to video converting, I think ffmpeg's got to be the way to go - you can then batch them up. Just got to find a way to go to Baseline with the same (mp4/h.264) codecs....

The Following User Says Thank You to demolition For This Useful Post:
HTML Code:
Is this possible on device?
Sorry to be confusing. I meant I use firefox on my laptop to convert flv files to a format that will "work" on my N900.
If I understand correctly, the flv's aren't working on my N900 because the codec is the wrong type?
Anyway I tried the extra decoders support...when that didn't "work" I tried some "code". Then removed it. Later I read that you need to overclock and other stuff...

My simple "firefox" strategy sometimes fails like Copernicus discussed. I have another program "Hamster Free video converter" that I sometimes have to run the file through before firefox will convert it.

I'll take a look at ffmpeg...Here's a windows version I found.

The Following User Says Thank You to fidel For This Useful Post: