Active Topics

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Also... already has Gingerbread (Android 2.3.x)--not stuck waiting like the rest of us Galaxy Tab people. I bumped into a guy at Best Buy while perusing demo units. He saw me listening to podcasts on my own Samsung Galaxy Tab using my Motorola S305 stereo bluetooth headset and started asking my questions about my tablet. He LOVED the fact that I was slipping it into my hip pocket (sharing my wallet in that same pocket) and that it didn't look like it took up too much room--very portable. He owns a business and he already had an iPad 2 and didn't like it for a myriad of reasons and wanted to give an Android tablet a shot--and he was already sold on the 7-inch size. We started talking over the demo devices and in the end it seemed like the HTC Flyer was the best, really. He didn't need a carrier (he already had a data plan on his phone and could tether from it, if he wanted to--but 90% of the time he'd be using SOME kind of wifi either at work, home, trips, etc. anyway). The single biggest clincher, to me, was that it already had Android 2.3.x and the pretty nice tablet-sized HTV SenseUI. He left pretty happy. Kinda wish I'd had my business cards with me to follow-up--but then, I'm not a salesperson. heh
So what time are you guys going for coffee?

lol just kidding!

Dan I was wondering if I can get your opinion on something. There is a COSTCO that opened up in my suburb (in Sydney) and today they've got a special on the ASUS Transformer for $444 -16gb wifi no dock.
Is it a good price?

I really like it, but then again I am planning on buying a new Macbook Air + Apple DVD-drive ($1,100 - $1,400) and dualbooting Win7 off it, so I don't think the tablet would get much use I hope. Offcourse this means selling my current laptop Acer 4810 (perhaps I can grab AU$900 for it), funny enough I'm always on a budget.

If it was 8.9", I would implement it in my car, so I'd buy it right away, but any size larger and it wont fit ... so I'm having doubts.
Especially with Xmas creeping up, it seems the latest and greatest is a stonesthrow away.

Last edited by Kangal; 2011-08-02 at 10:09.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 306 | Thanked: 350 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sydney
This seriously pisses me off...

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 Australian Release Blocked By Apple
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2011/08/sa...federal-court/

I see more and more Android phones and tablets in public transports every day, but Sydney is still Apple land, I would not be surprised if more than 50% of phones in Sydney were iPhones.

This move by Apple will make people that were waiting for the Galaxy 10.1v probably go for the iPad or maybe other Android Tablets, I see Asus Transformers, Xooms and Acers in every store now.

Samsung really should just cut off Apple completely.
No more RAM modules / Flash memory / whatever.
No more screens.
No more A5 CPUs.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to H3llb0und For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
These lawsuits (on all sides) are getting to be pretty ridiculous. I do think Apple is the worst of the lot though.

Thank deity that Apple doesn't make cars. They'd start off with an all electric car, that needs a special outlet in your house for charging. The hood would be screwed closed with special screws.

The next year it'd come with a radio (originally radios weren't an option as they would distract from the driving experience). It would also have a normal plug. Apple would claim to have revolutionized the industry by including a normal plug and radio.

The third year would include a small gas engine for "on the go" charging. Apple would claim to have invented electric cars with gas engines.

All the cars would be very sleek and fashionable. Get good mileage, etc.

Next Apple would proceed to sue other car manufactures by claiming they were copying the "look, feel, operation" (four wheels, doors, steering wheels) of their I-car.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by H3llb0und View Post
This seriously pisses me off...

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 Australian Release Blocked By Apple
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2011/08/sa...federal-court/

I see more and more Android phones and tablets in public transports every day, but Sydney is still Apple land, I would not be surprised if more than 50% of phones in Sydney were iPhones.

This move by Apple will make people that were waiting for the Galaxy 10.1v probably go for the iPad or maybe other Android Tablets, I see Asus Transformers, Xooms and Acers in every store now.

Samsung really should just cut off Apple completely.
No more RAM modules / Flash memory / whatever.
No more screens.
No more A5 CPUs.
Well Apple already is looking for new manufacturers
http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/27/a...msung-left-to/
http://9to5mac.com/2011/05/02/is-int...ples-a6-chips/
LG could manufacture screens and Toshiba could make flash memory.

The Following User Says Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Hey guys the HTC Flyer has received S-Off thanks to unrevoked and alpha-rev for creating revolutionary which breaks the HTC signed bootloader dealio this also works on the Sensation, Evo 3d and other new HTC devices. Be warned this beta software so I only advise tech savy people and developers to use this. I take no responsibility for damages that may be incurred.
get revolutionary here
http://revolutionary.io/
Also the first custom rom for the HTC flyer was created. It allows phone functionality on the 3g versions and on non-3g versions it acts as if there is no sim in the device. It also provides root user and busybox too.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1194959

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Dan I was wondering if I can get your opinion on something. There is a COSTCO that opened up in my suburb (in Sydney) and today they've got a special on the ASUS Transformer for $444 -16gb wifi no dock.
Hard for me to say, since I don't have a good idea what to guage the price against in the Australian market. I know that the 16gb model here in the US goes for around $400 (USD), and sometimes slightly cheaper on sale--as low as around $350 sometimes, but that's no help to someone located in Australia. If you're planning on getting a laptop to run Mac apps or Windows apps, this isn't the device you want to settle with. I, for example, recently REALLY desperately needed to replace my old Dell Inspiron 8200 with a new laptop and ended up getting an Asus K53E (Sandybridge i3 64-bit CPU+GPU processor, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD, etc. under $400!! FTW!!!) and threw Linux onto it. I now have enough resources to even run Windows in a VirtualBox session (not that I want or need to for any reason, really). The Asus Transformer wouldn't be sufficient for me to do resource-heavy work on like a full-on x86 laptop would. So keep that in mind.

On the other hand, if you need a portable Android tablet does that has a comfy keyboard like a laptop, USB ports, HDMI, SD slots and mixes the best of both worlds without the incredibly heavy resources of a full-on laptop, then the Transformer will fit somewhere in between quite nicely. Even better once they get Ubuntu running on it properly.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Hey guys want to make your own Rom for a particular Android device customized to your own needs. Well XDA-devs shows us its not that hard. They use the Evo 3D as an example but this can be done with any Android rom but make sure it specific to the device your modding.
Go learn about it here
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1198035

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 306 | Thanked: 350 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sydney
@Kangal
If you can get the 16GB Transformer in Australia for AU$444...
GET IT NOW!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to H3llb0und For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
@Kangal
GET IT NOW!!!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
@Kangal
GET IT NOW!!!
http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/02/a...-quad-core-ka/

I don't want buyers remorse!

11" MBAir 4GB, SSD128GB (half for Win7), Apple DVD-drive ... why would I need a Transformer if I'm struggling to find time to tinker with linux these days?

If its a Transformer with slim bezels and 8.9" size
= one-handed portrait use with my XL hands
= my car gps & entertainment
= mobile computer = no need to buy an ultraportable laptop (ie MBA).

Me =/= $$TREE$$

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy