Well, been reading here for about three weeks (same amount of time as owning my n800) and it's time to jump in. Lots of good info in this place for getting started.

Here is a tip for getting the Opera browser running much faster.

Edit the file /home/user/.opera/opera.ini
and change the lines to
Max Connections Server=32
Max Connections Total=64

This gives Opera an incredible boost to speed. You can use other values here but the default values made me feel I was on a 14.4 modem

I also turn flash on in the browser when not needing it for a specific purpose and am very pleased with the speed results.

The only thing that would be better is to make every link open an new window so I'd never have to use the back button.

Another tip for Opera (or minimo if you use it) is to create an html file with your favorite sites in it and use it for your home page. I have my links sorted and listed in three columns. Makes if very fast to get to my usual places and I can use the same home page for minimo.

By adding a target="_blank" to each a href you can make those links open in new windows.

I also set Minimum Font Size=16 in the opera.ini file and it makes pages a lot easier to read making the main text area easier to read (got that from another post in this forum).

Originally Posted by coffeedrinker View Post
I also turn flash on in the browser when not needing it for a specific purpose and am very pleased with the speed results.
I assume you meant turn flash OFF in the browser when not needing it?

Another tip for Opera (or minimo if you use it) is to create an html file with your favorite sites in it and use it for your home page. I have my links sorted and listed in three columns. Makes if very fast to get to my usual places and I can use the same home page for minimo.

By adding a target="_blank" to each a href you can make those links open in new windows.
I use a customized version of John Dvorak's portal page as my homepage, but hadn't thought of adding the target="_blank" to it. Thanks

Yes, turn it off

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Edit the file /home/user/.opera/opera.ini
and change the lines to
Max Connections Server=32
Max Connections Total=64
Do *not* use these settings, unless you like hogging up all the bandwidth/CPU of the servers you are generously using for free. Several servers outright ban anyone trying to connect anywhere near this many times.

So yeah, use these settings if you want to screw over the people that are serving your data and if you want to keep other people out and if you want more and more sites to go pay-only.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
Even though those values are a bit extreme, you can get great improvements even with using 16,32 values. Also, I recommend modifying the input.ini to use page up and page down for the dpad. I also configured dpad middle button to page down.

Posts: 231 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Singapore
You can also reduce Opera's ram usage by half, by setting "Avoid_flicker = 0"

when using the built in browser opera with yahoo mail, after I read a message when I click on the button to mark the mail as unread, it does not work. With minimo the function works, but I think the opera browser has a better look to it. Any way to fix this in opera by changing its appearance to IE or something else?

Originally Posted by konttori View Post
Also, I recommend modifying the input.ini to use page up and page down for the dpad. I also configured dpad middle button to page down.
This is what I was looking for since I bought the N800.

Big thanks for that tip!

Newbie question: How can I edit that file?

Thanks!

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by amigokin View Post
Newbie question: How can I edit that file?

Thanks!
>> http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...earchid=433354

I keep the following text note in my documents folder so at least the directions get backed up.

1. Copy opera.ini to the "Documents" directory (which is visible from the file manager). If you give the copy a .txt extension, you'll be able to open and edit it in Notes:

(Cut and paste this command in xterm after you become root)

cp ./.opera/opera.ini ./MyDocs/.documents/operaini.txt

2. When you've made the changes you want, make sure that Opera is closed and copy the results back:

(Cut and paste this command in xterm after you become root)

cp -f ./MyDocs/.documents/operaini.txt ./.opera/opera.ini

Note: Shamelessly ripped from part of artkavanagh's post.
...you also need to download and install Ossa-Xterm and Become root.