Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

I just bought a used n900 that seems to have the usb problem:
-charging is fine with the 220v adapter
-no way to connect it through usb on a computer, "not enough power", it's not mounting on the computer. Tried Ubuntu, Mac, XP, laptop and desktop.
-sometimes freezes the xp, comes back to normal when unplugged.
-no way to fash the phone

I bought a new usb cable to check, it's my last hope. Anyway, I use ssh for file transfer, but is there hope I can flash the phone without usb to restore it to factory ?

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by viralata View Post
I just bought a used n900 that seems to have the usb problem:
-charging is fine with the 220v adapter
-no way to connect it through usb on a computer, "not enough power", it's not mounting on the computer. Tried Ubuntu, Mac, XP, laptop and desktop.
-sometimes freezes the xp, comes back to normal when unplugged.
-no way to fash the phone

I bought a new usb cable to check, it's my last hope. Anyway, I use ssh for file transfer, but is there hope I can flash the phone without usb to restore it to factory ?
I don't think there's any way to do a full flash without USB, no. Have you tried plugging it in when the N900 is switched off? A software problem could be causing the "not enough power" and not mounting issue. When the N900 is switched off, plugging it in via USB should cause it to boot up into a special charging mode. If this works okay, then so should reflashing.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Why is it impossible to flash without a usb? I've never understood this. I'm pretty sure you can flash just the kernel without a usb, because I think I've done it.

I tried to plug it when it's off. I see the very dark nokia logo, and the small usb logo, it's vibrating once, but nothing appears on the computer side. Ubuntu doesn't see it, and XP says the usb device is not fonctionning correctly and ask me if I want to solve the problems.
With my new cable, it's the same, except that it's charging on the usb while still not mounting on the computer side.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Why is it impossible to flash without a usb? I've never understood this. I'm pretty sure you can flash just the kernel without a usb, because I think I've done it.
You can flash the kernel, yes. The area you're flashing there is only used at boot time, so there's no problems. The rest of the system is being used when running though, so I don't see how you could flash it.

Originally Posted by viralata View Post
I tried to plug it when it's off. I see the very dark nokia logo, and the small usb logo, it's vibrating once, but nothing appears on the computer side. Ubuntu doesn't see it, and XP says the usb device is not fonctionning correctly and ask me if I want to solve the problems.
With my new cable, it's the same, except that it's charging on the usb while still not mounting on the computer side.
That's the expected behaviour. With earlier firmware versions, connecting when powered off exported the drives, but newer ones don't (it was considered a security issue as it bypasses any PINs set). That would suggest that flashing the firmware should work as well. I'd give it a shot anyway - if the device isn't picked up then nothing'll happen, so there's no damage you can do.

I tried to remove the battery for some time, and with the new cable it is now working. Seems the problem is solved, I feel much better, and thanks for the help.

Hi there!

Recently my microUSB port just came out when I unplugged the USB cable from my device... prior to that I had charging issues and data transfer issues as well - I had to pull the cable slightly downwards so there was actually a connection to allow charging and data transfer. Since that I knew there is something wrong with my microUSB port.

Ok, so now, holding my broken N900 in my right hand and the loose microUSB port in the left hand the only thing I could think of was to hand my broken phone and the loose microUSB port to my local Nokia Care Centre.

3 days after handing it over there I was informed that I can come and get my device back. "Hooray, me mighty device is usable again!" - well, the reality was a bit different.... Unfortunately all I received was my still not repaired N900 (even without the loose microUSB port which I also gave them) along with the note:

"BROKEN CONTACT PADS - REPAIR UNPROFITABLE "

so now I am left alone with my broken, unusable N900 (even without the loose microUSB port, which Nokia Care have stolen) ... it wont even boot up as the battery is dead as well.

The question is:
Is it really true that it is not worth even trying to repair my device?
Should I simply buy a new 'phone'? If yes, which one would be a decent, fresher replacement of my N900?

Thanks in advance!
Ralph

Originally Posted by RafaLL92 View Post
Is it really true that it is not worth even trying to repair my device?
Should I simply buy a new 'phone'? If yes, which one would be a decent, fresher replacement of my N900?
If it's out of warranty, then yes, repair probably would cost about as much as a new phone. If it's still in warranty then the profitability of the repair isn't at issue - they're obliged to either repair or replace it, whatever that costs them (well, I guess they could refund you the value of the phone as another alternative).

As for replacements - I'd suggest browsing some of the "competitor" sections of the forum to get some answers on that.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 182 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
If it's out of warranty, then yes, repair probably would cost about as much as a new phone. If it's still in warranty then the profitability of the repair isn't at issue - they're obliged to either repair or replace it, whatever that costs them (well, I guess they could refund you the value of the phone as another alternative).
N900 has 2 year warranty in the EU, you must have it repaired.

After warranty you can use desktop charger: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Desktop-Charge...91572071495824

Data transfer is possible via wlan with OpenSSH server.

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki
Ah, got a new, shiny one. And first thing that happens is that the phone crashes while I'm copying the backup files back from my computer.

Sometimes I get these urges to buy a shotgun and have a nice little discussion with the engineers responsible. Oh well, everything seems to be fine for now.

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty