Active Topics

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Canada
HI, this is my first post. Please help me kindly.

I am thinking to buy a Linux-powered device. after comparing prices, i found N770 is much cheaper, besides it has USB host capability.

I worry the quality of it. i heard a rummer that the quality of some N770 are not good, having blank (or white) display, or the display turning blank or white. is it true?

some body talked about version2 N770. are there 2 kinds of N770s?

with USB host, can I use a card reader? if I want to use USB devices with it, shoud they be special?

the memory is small, it seemed i can not use a large swap. what is the best way to solve SMALL MEMORY problem?

thanks.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by jayden View Post

I am thinking to buy a Linux-powered device. after comparing prices, i found N770 is much cheaper, besides it has USB host capability.

I worry the quality of it. i heard a rummer that the quality of some N770 are not good, having blank (or white) display, or the display turning blank or white. is it true?

with USB host, can I use a card reader? if I want to use USB devices with it, shoud they be special?

the memory is small, it seemed i can not use a large swap. what is the best way to solve SMALL MEMORY problem?

thanks.

depends on the money, 130$ is a very good price to jump into an IT (770), you seem to have done some homework on the subject. USB host is nice, but what will you use it for? I mean it would have to be plugged in to use, then there are wires everywhere. Is the card reader for a camera? only used occaisonally, then its not bad? If it is for space, the n800 would be better, although current firmware seems a bit ruff on the SD cards, and price is much higher. Then you have the new FCC post for n900??? If this releases the n800 should drop dramatically.

I had 770 for 1 year, then n800 since january. The n800 is peppier, but the 770 is a very useable, swap helps with both the 770 and n800

Good luck

The 770 remains a very nice web browsing appliance with a set of other useful features. The N800 improves on it in basically every way.

N800 has USB-OTG support, which is arguably as useful: N770 host mode is a royal pain to get working properly.

If your need is not immediate, wait for the WiMax release. I'll probably sell mine when that one comes out.

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ SF, CA
Originally Posted by jayden View Post

thanks.
Hi [I added the numbers above]
No quality problems. it works fine. Rare to have a screen problem. Sometime people play around with Linux and break them by doing that.
Just 1 version. This is a very hackable computer. You can add all sorts of programs and put a test version of the N800 OS on it to run more programs.
Some advanced hacks are buggy, like the n800 os, but basic function and lots of programs work fine.
You will buy a 1 or 2 Gig MMC card for this (or any size up to 2 Gig will work).

It's a great machine for web browsing, using wi-fi, plus u can read books, pdf, games, watch videos, youtube, etc, If you are willing to learn you can do more. If you want a perfect working, very easy machine, this is not the 770, but with patience you can do so much. You need to learn at first how to use it for more than just web though.

Also, sometimes the web browser will quit (its very usable just not perfect), and flash 9 content on the web wont work on a 770 but will on a
n800.

A great device!

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Canada
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
depends on the money, 130$ is a very good price to jump into an IT (770), you seem to have done some homework on the subject. USB host is nice, but what will you use it for? I mean it would have to be plugged in to use, then there are wires everywhere. Is the card reader for a camera? only used occaisonally, then its not bad? If it is for space, the n800 would be better, although current firmware seems a bit ruff on the SD cards, and price is much higher. Then you have the new FCC post for n900??? If this releases the n800 should drop dramatically.

I had 770 for 1 year, then n800 since january. The n800 is peppier, but the 770 is a very useable, swap helps with both the 770 and n800

Good luck
you have the point! what do i need a card reader for? since there is not much memory in the device.

thanks for all of you. i am not hurry, i will wait for sometime. i do not think it is good way for nokia to do business that they do not support their OLD devices, like now they support N800, not N770.

Having owned a 770 for two days now, I feel qualified to answer

The price (about $150ish) is great for what you get: it's a real computer that runs real apps on a real operating system. It's smaller than it looks online. The built in 2006 browser renders almost everything great, but ajax (javascript in general?) doesn't work. EDIT: ah, there's an option to turn on javascript. basecamp ajax controls still don't seem to work tho

The "2 versions" refer to which os it shipped with (2005 or 2006). You can flash upgrade to the newest.

People have seemed to get usb keyboards and mass storage working, but you gotta mess around with it (ie, not out of the box).

I've only gotten the out of memory error a few times, and now that i have a swap file turned on I haven't seen it. Keep in mind that this isn't a powerhorse of a computer, but it does what it's supposed to and it does it well

you can stick 2gb of rs-mmc (mmc mobile) in there -- that's not too shabby! plug the 770 into the computer with the included usb cable and it mounts the card as a mass storage device (transfer rates were pretty anemic though -- i'd just use the network).

Let me know if you have any other questions -- this newbie is LOVING his 770

Last edited by paulm; 2007-10-02 at 22:12.

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ SF, CA
Originally Posted by paulm View Post

The "2 versions" refer to which os it shipped with (2005 or 2006). You can flash upgrade to the newest.

this newbie is LOVING his 770
Nice reply. I am loving mine after 1 month too.

BTW, the 2 versions are 2006 OS and OS 2007 Hackers Edition or HE, which u can install yourself and run some extra programs or features like better (flash or Java?) support in Opera. OS 2007HE lets u run N800 software, but it has some bugs and some regular OS2006 programs don't work.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
swap helps with both the 770 and n800
This is a bit off topic for this thread, but how exactly do you set up swap on an n800?

Do you need a dedicated swap partition, or can you have a file set up for it within a regular partition?

I've ordered two 2GB SD cards ... so if I need to do something special, it'd be good to know now. I plan to use one for almost exclusively dedicated/internal use in the n800 ... so it's ok if it's not basic DOS/FAT format. Partial ufs (or whatever that linux fs format is called) and partial swap would be sub-optimal, but ok. In some regard, I might even be willing to have the entire card to swap space (I've already thought about the idea some, but not yet gotten around to the exact execution plan).

The other card, which will go in the slot that has a door behind the stand, I'm going to want to be able to move among multiple devices, so it probably has to be FAT.

Thoughts on how I should set this up?

you set up swap in the control panel, under the "memory" option. 64mb is the largest size you can set.

Anyway, the 770 and n800 are great devices, as long as you understand that you are getting an internet browsing device, that happens to have a few pc-like features and programs, and not a full blown PC.

If you need something powerfull with large amounts of storage and memory, get a laptop.

but if you are looking for a portable internet browser, they will be great. I got my 770 about a month and a half ago, and I really didn't expect much out of it. I mainly got it because it was on sale for $129, and I didn't want to spend the money and monthly fees for an iphone just to have portable internet.

I am actually enjoying mine more than I expected. I can use it almost anywhere, and I like that I don't have to always find a computer to quickly check email, or read the news when I'm bored or waiting somewhere.

The Following User Says Thank You to mike-y For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I am finding my N800 very handy while I am working on my laptop. I can keep the documentation handy and look things up while the laptop is on the operating table. (I just installed Puppy Linux and am having trouble getting it to boot from the hard drive rather than a cd.)