The 770 is being beaten by a -- gasp! -- PSP here!!

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/porta...ble-147418.php

(Usually I'd do this in my "blog," but this makes me angry and I want to SHAME SHAME SHAME Nokia!!!) (See how mad I am? I even used one of those damned heads!)

It doesn't look portable. No mention of batteries to power it so you're tied to the power supply.

Big deal...Fry sells a hard drive enclosure that has lithium rechargeable batteries to power the hard drive. It also has built in card reader on there. There is a button on the case for copying contents on the memory card to the hard drive without hooking up to any device. It's less than 100 dollars. Thought about getting it for the nokia 770 but I haven't found the use yet. I got a 1gig card that hasn't filled up.

It is a big deal. No friggin having to get a Mac or Linux on your PC just to modify one damned script command for host mode!

Shame, Nokia! SHAME SHAME!

Beaten by Sony!

Now that is low!

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Agreed. I haven't obtained root or enabled USB host mode on my device yet because of the process involved. Bury the options in the control panel and give us the option to enable them; I break it, it's my fault. Include all the warnings, all the dialogue boxes, etc, but at least give me the functionality. My RCA Lyra is a self powered 40GB HDD that is automatically detected by a PC as an external drive. I'd love to be able to jack it into my 770.

What an annoying thread title... I will 'use some heads' to show my opinion of it...

I also hope for the sake of the non technical user that Nokia will allow turning on USB host mode easily.

But it seems to me that you just want to complain most of the time.

If you were posting on a PSP forum would you heap SHAME on sony for making the PSP have to be in a special USB file transfer ONLY mode while hooked up, while a device like the 770 could use the storage like a COMPUTER would, once usb mode is set up?

cAPS

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I think Mike's coming from the same point of view I exhibit towards Microsoft; some users are more than mindless point & clickers and are one step closer to an anneurysm each time they have to see "Warning! Looking at your program files is one step away from you deleting something on a whim and screwing up your system, click here to show them anyway".

Personally, I just want the option without having to reflash my system and risk horrible things happening to it. Even holding the 'select' button during bootup to login as root would be a decent option. If the option is toggled and someone hashes their system, they have nothing to complain about. Look at spraypaint. Deliberately concentrating and inhaling contents can cause death. Spray away from eyes. At least we still have the option

I also think it would be a good idea.

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ San Francisco
Mike, this device will work exactly the same way for the Nokia 770 as for the Sony PSP - it's a self powered hard drive enclosure with USB host capabilty... Here's another:
http://macally.com/spec/usb/storage_...hr_250otg.html

Also keep in mind that the 770 can be set to be USB host but the PSP can't - I also have a PSP so I've tried hacking it too

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
There's no shame in this whatsoever. The PSP was released March 24th 2005. The 770 tablet was released in November. I'd say the PSP had a good head start and bet that it won't take developers 10 months to deploy external hard drives for the 770.