Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
go http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in706903.shtml

click mp4 to watch program on your 770/N800. Click Pod, paste URL to Videocenter>Tools>Services>Internet video, close (it takes several minutes), now you have CBS News on VC! Thank god, now you can take your eyes of those TeXtra, GeekBrief. There are 5 programs from CBS. They all work.

BTW, they all streamed, so 1) you see it right away, no dl; 2) does not cluster your precious MMC space.

Enjoy

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2007-10-09 at 07:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Great find mate!

This is exactly what I've been looking for!

Matt

so, only got lucky with Katie Couric, so far; both ABC and NBC are using m4v, no luck. Basically, there are 2 camps of video file that maybe able to play with the 770. mplayer plays .avi and media player plays the rest, mainly .mpg, .mpeg, .mp4, .3gp (something like that). It is NOT carved in stones, it also depends on OTHER factors. M4v is out. And the VC is not very smart, you will have to play with the setting, say internal(media player) or external(mplayer) in order to stream. On some channels, error message for streaming, "file format not support" could be misleading. Once dl, it maybe able to play with either players. For the time being, Katie is my friend, watching CBS/news 24 hrs a day, sort of like CNN. I also found ABC in australia that maybe working.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2007-10-11 at 01:26.

Forgot to mention, the above CBS programs will have to use setting internal (media player), mplayer wont do squat.

Just in case you are still sitting on the fence, you need to upgrade to 2007He and install VC to enjoy all of this. You are missing a big part of the 770 if you do not have VC. I think podcasting is coming and VC is exactly what the internet tablet should be, surfing inet and streaming audio/video (not dl). GPS, VoiP, PIM or Debian/SSH are bonus. Or maybe I am talking about the others.........eekPhone?

bun

edit

do not forget discovery channel,

http://www.discovery.com/radio/xml/discovery_video.xml

It also streams, provided you manually set the player to internal(media player).

so far, there is 5 CBS and 1 discovery channel streaming. not all discovery channels are streaming, about 50:50.........
bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2007-10-09 at 09:23.

I'm having trouble with the Discovery channels - I'm using the internal player and all the videos are very choppy. Anyone having any luck here?

EDIT: Additionally, using your methods listed above (and the internal player), the CBS videos say "unsupported format".

Last edited by Sloan; 2007-10-09 at 13:25.

Originally Posted by Sloan View Post
I'm having trouble with the Discovery channels - I'm using the internal player and all the videos are very choppy. Anyone having any luck here?

EDIT: Additionally, using your methods listed above (and the internal player), the CBS videos say "unsupported format".
"unsupported format" means several things, unfortunately. One of them, is streaming is not working will give the same stupid error message. Did you check whether your media player is set up correctly? I have zero problem with CBS, including face wthe nation with bob schiefer. They looked as if played with DVD, fantastic. Discovery Channel is a hit and miss, 50% stream and 50% needs to dl then watch. Postback if you have problem with CBS.

When you said videos are choppy, do you mean stuttering or the video is poor quality? The discovery channel when they work, they also crispy clear like DVD quality. BTW, I dl some videos and watch at the PC monitor. Surprisingly they are quite hi quality and is even watchable on a 1280X800 PC! I guess the 770's resolution of 800X600 is really not bad especially when cramped into a small screen as the 770.

bun

bun

So after toying around a bit more, the CBS stuff does stream well but gives an "unsupported" error when downloading it to the N800 and trying to play - this is too bad because I don't have the net at home and it'd be cool to be able to download the news and watch it that night. Oh well - thanks for your help!

Originally Posted by Sloan View Post
So after toying around a bit more, the CBS stuff does stream well but gives an "unsupported" error when downloading it to the N800 and trying to play - this is too bad because I don't have the net at home and it'd be cool to be able to download the news and watch it that night. Oh well - thanks for your help!
Well, I am really really excited about this VC. I have been trying to stream my own video/audio via TVersity in my home network. Audio does fine. Video is not acceptable. The video quality decreases noticeably from transcoding. If you dont transcode, it does not play by the 770. The Disc channel and the CBS are very hi quality and I enjoy watching them.

bun

Nice find. Thanks.

Chuck

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I find the discovery channel choppy as well. By choppy I mean that the video stops and 'buffering' is displayed at the bottom of the screen. This happened quite often with the mock-doc bio of the test dummy, for example, in the myth busters series.