Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
I've got a dell stowaway keyboard on Expansys - quite cheap indeed. Being Italian, I need accented vowels, and for sure several other European and non-English languages do need them.

The trick was getting xmodmap from the bluetooth plugin (it's explained elsewhere in the forums, just search bluetooth plugin) and use this single command line for xmodmap:

xmodmap -e "keycode 115 = dead_grave dead_acute"

This way i can use the "windows" key, down on the left side of my keyboard, as a double-use compose key.

Clicking window key before a vowel gives that vowel with a grave accent: àèìòù

Instead, clicking shift-window key before a vowel gives the acute accent: áéíóú

"perché è così e sarà così`però`mai più!" :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
I've got a dell stowaway keyboard on Expansys - quite cheap indeed. Being Italian, I need accented vowels, and for sure several other European and non-English languages do need them.

The trick was getting xmodmap from the bluetooth plugin (it's explained elsewhere in the forums, just search bluetooth plugin) and use this single command line for xmodmap:

This way i can use the "windows" key, down on the left side of my keyboard, as a double-use compose key.

"perché è così e sarà così`però`mai più!" :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
Hmm...

When I got my Nokia keyboard all I had to do was tell the N800 it was there. I didn't need xmodmap (unless it's already installed and I just don't know it.

Of course, the "windows" key is actually labeled "Alt/Gr" on the Nokia keyboard.

R.
==

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ North of even Barry
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post

I can't test this with a bt keyboad, but I tested it on my desktop (where incidentally keycode 115 is also the "windows" key).
It works fine, except how do you avoid getting the capital version of the letter with shift-window?
Here's what I get: (letter, windows+letter, shift/windows+letter)
eèÉ

EDIT: Ah, shift/windows, followed by *release* both of them, then letter.. that works! éá