Posts: 354 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York
I frequently listen to XM Radio from my desktop PC, and I have listened to XM in my hand/pocket when I had Dell Axim Pocket PCs. I'd really love to be able to do so with my N800, but it appears the Nokia N800 media player is not compatible.

The XM web pages look as they should on the N800, I get as far as authenticating my XM account and selecting a music channel. The current tune playing is shown (the artist and album), but no sound emminates the N800.

I have tried both Opera and MicroB browsers without success.

Can one of you gurus look into what can be done to get this functioning? Is it that XM wants something like Mplayer and not the browsers default / OS2007 default player? Thanks.

Last edited by xxM5xx; 2007-10-26 at 06:33. Reason: grammer

My guess is that XM's online streaming service uses windows media DRM or something, which doesn't make it a likely candidate for ever working on a Linux based device.

I saw your post last night and researched how to play xm on my 770 (800 coming this week!) I can now receive XM both through my home network and over the internet. Also can play my home audio collection, Shoutcast, Live365, etc. The Nokia skin is pretty darn nice too!

It does NOT need mplayer, just Audio Player.

Here is the link you need to start with.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=29867

Have fun.

Mike

Originally Posted by DallasNative View Post
I saw your post last night and researched how to play xm on my 770 (800 coming this week!) I can now receive XM both through my home network and over the internet. Also can play my home audio collection, Shoutcast, Live365, etc. The Nokia skin is pretty darn nice too!

It does NOT need mplayer, just Audio Player.

Here is the link you need to start with.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=29867

Have fun.

Mike
Mike, Thank you. I read each and every one of the 75 posts in that XM radio thread at that link you provide. Squeezeboxes, SlimServers, AlienBBC plugins, mplayer.sh scripts. I fail to see where or how they apply any of this to the Nokia N800. I am fairly certain that if I can alter the default media player in the N800 to invoke Mplayer by default, I can make the XM radio stream successfully to my Nokia Internet Tablet. Can someone give me something I can type into Xterm that will change the media player the browser(s) launch to Mplayer ? I have both Opera and MicroB..... I think the MicroB would be the better of the two to do this. Anyone know how to force MicroB to launch Mplayer by default? Thanks. M5

does this work with sirius? mmmm

Originally Posted by xxM5xx View Post
Mike, Thank you. I read each and every one of the 75 posts in that XM radio thread at that link you provide. Squeezeboxes, SlimServers, AlienBBC plugins, mplayer.sh scripts. I fail to see where or how they apply any of this to the Nokia N800. I am fairly certain that if I can alter the default media player in the N800 to invoke Mplayer by default, I can make the XM radio stream successfully to my Nokia Internet Tablet. Can someone give me something I can type into Xterm that will change the media player the browser(s) launch to Mplayer ? I have both Opera and MicroB..... I think the MicroB would be the better of the two to do this. Anyone know how to force MicroB to launch Mplayer by default? Thanks. M5
I read all those posts last night myself. I cannot tell you how cool it was to start hearing XM over my 770. What took the longest was realizing I needed to add LAME to my desktop to encode the xm stream to mp3.

Here is a link that shows the skin for the 770/800. Sorry I didn't include it last time. http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cg...verAndNokia770

When I get my 800 on Wednesday, I can quickly see if I can get XM through SS as with the 770. There shouldn't be an issue but I will find out in a couple of days.

If mplayer will play the raw xm stream, you may be on to something. It would be better not to re-encode/re-stream the original xm stream. Sorry I can't provide any suggestions as I know nothing about linux.

Hope you have success.

Mike

Hey, thanks man. That second link made a huge difference as I can now understand what this Nokia 770 XM Radio approach is all about. I can try it on my Nokia N800......but as I see it, this would not permit me to stream XM Radio when I am away from my home or office.

When I am home, I have several Windows computers I can listen to XM radio with.

I like listening to XM "in other WiFi clouds" away from my home with a pocket computer ( like my Dell Axims when I owned them ).

Streaming the raw XM to the N800 would probably work if MicroB would launch Mplayer instead of the player it is programmed to launch.

Thanks again,

M5

Last edited by xxM5xx; 2007-10-30 at 05:58.

I agree. Making Mplayer the default player is something I would like to do, too. I have searched for it and have not found it mentioned but never found a way to do it. Is it that hard?