I received my n800 from Buy.com last night, and I am very disappointed. It could be that I'm too old, my eyes are not good enough, or I had unrealistic expectations. However, I just can't keep it. My eyes and head are killing me.

Anyway, does anyone know if there is a way I can return it? Yeah, I'll call Buy.com, but I want to make sure there is no better way to approach this.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Have you tried increasing the page size using the buttons on the top of the N800? Push the + to make it bigger and the - to make it smaller. Also, pressing the middle button will make the page full screen.

If you still feel you have to return it then sending it back to Buy.com or selling it here to someone may be an option.

Hope this helps.

I've tried all of the options - including zoom, etc - and it just isn't what I wanted.
- the zoom increments stink
- it is slow and seems to freeze up on me sometimes (not responsive or takes up to 5 seconds to respond to click)
- it's a ton of work to make the page correct to read
- there appears to be a strange shimmery effect that i can't describe that requires I adjust the angle i hold the unit as my eyes move across the screen. can't describe it.

I'll try buy.com, although i can't imagine they're going to take it back just because I don't like it, which is really probably the case. I'm sure many people would love it. It just isn't going to work for me.
If I can't get buy.com to take it back, I'll probably offer it up for sale here. I didn't take the screen protector off yet, and clearly I can't use it any more because of the headaches - so it's essentially brand new. oh well.

Posts: 114 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Norway / Tromsų
I don`t know if it is like that in other Countries but in Norway we got an 14 day windows of return without reason.. just need to fill out a paper that come with what you bought and send it back.
--

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Wirral, UK
After you zoom in on a webpage with the + button on top of the device, the text may flow off the screen. To avoid this, in the menu choose View / Fit width to view.

There are ways to increase the default browser font size too, this will avoid having to zoom in every time you open the web browser.

With properly corrected vision you shouldn't have problems reading the N800, consider getting your eyes checked rather than returning the device.

Edit: Your replies since the first one suggest that you have more issues than just readability. It seems that your best bet is to return it.

Last edited by 9a6or; 2007-11-10 at 12:52.

Posts: 487 | Thanked: 152 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by IBICO View Post
I don`t know if it is like that in other Countries but in Norway we got an 14 day windows of return without reason.. just need to fill out a paper that come with what you bought and send it back.
Same in the UK...

You may, indeed, have a defective unit. My N800 is very responsive and works like a champ. Click and off I go. Multiple windows open, no problem.
I agree with 9a6or. It may be defective.

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Canada
Um, I mean no offense, but you also might like trying to hold it closer to you. Out of habit (with a 320x320 Palm) I was always holding mine at arms length, which made it rather frustratingly small to read some times. Then I realised "Wait a minute! These guys are a cell phone company" They're used to tiny screens being close to your face. Try holding it 6-8" from your eyes. It's remarkably clear and easy to read. To get an idea of an appropriate distance, look at the video on the N800. (File Manager -> Video clips Nokia_N800.)

I'd play with it a bit more before sending it back. It's a remarkably capable browser for such a small form-factor. (Of course, if you don't need it and are sure you don't want it, start he ball rolling ASAP.)

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by 9a6or View Post
With properly corrected vision you shouldn't have problems reading the N800, consider getting your eyes checked rather than returning the device.
I agree with 9a6or - if you're suffering from headaches reading small text this suggests to me that your vision is not 100% and needs to be checked out.

remember to remove the original screen protector