Active Topics

Has anyone that has the dlink 4300 gotten Wifi to work with the 770? The only way I've been able to do it is with no security. Any kind of encryption and the 770 fails authentication. Using firmware 1.6 on the 4300 and version 3.2005.51-13 on the 770.

You might have to use WPA security, instead of WEP. My friend did.

I've tried WPA/WPA2/WEP and none of them work. I thought it might be the passphrase length issue, but short and long passphrases didn't work either.

Originally Posted by arimanius
Has anyone that has the dlink 4300 gotten Wifi to work with the 770? The only way I've been able to do it is with no security. Any kind of encryption and the 770 fails authentication. Using firmware 1.6 on the 4300 and version 3.2005.51-13 on the 770.
I have one of the DLink 4x00 class units with the hardware packet shaper in it as well, but the problems I am seeing are consistent across other vendors' offerings as well.

There is an open bug discussing strange wireless hardware/driver behavior on the N770. I found that having a consistent stream of I/O (ping the local subnet default gateway, F'rex) improves the linl stability, and disabling interface teardown/negative dns caching improves application level stability.

Over in the "Hanging at NOKIA splash screen" thread you mention having the same booting problems I'm seeing. When I did get lucky the one time and my 770 booted without being in R&D mode, I wasn't able to connect to my WEP-secured access point. I chalked it up to entering the key wrong (several times), but the same key worked when I subsequently got my 770 going in R&D mode.

I have been happily using my dgl-4300 firmware version 1.4 and my Nokia770 together in WPA mode for the last 6 months.

Today I couldn't keep my hands to myself and upgraded to firmware version 1.6 - That was it!!!!!!!!!!!

Now i cant get it to work in neither wep, wpa nor wpa2.

I reinstalled 1.4 and restored my saved settings and the old connection was kept in the Nokia770, but no way I can get it to work again.

I love my Nokia770 but it has to be really careful now. The dgl-4300 is a nice device which everybody on the network benefit from and unprotected wireless is not an option.

Is anybody else getting these to babies to talk to each other?

It's working again. I don't know exactly why. So should others have the same setup, then yes! - it's possible ;-)

Well, my personal opinion about the quality of D-Link gear is unprintable, so I won't say more than that I think D-link makes some of the cheapest, shoddiest network gear out there. Sure, all consumer cheapo routers stink more or less, but the dozen or so D-link devices I've come into contact with have all been lousy in some way.

Another problem with these low end wi-fi routers is that enabling encryption actually slows the routing process down. My recommendation is to setup MAC authentication and if you want to use encryption, just use the bare minimum (WEP 40bit).

Personally, I'd say use WPA anyway. I'd rather take the slowdown (and the bottleneck is usually the internet connection anyway) because anything short of WPA just isn't even nearly secure.