Active Topics

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1636

The above addresses a low power save mode "time-out" WiFi problem in 4.2007.26-8. I read that the value was set to 200 milliseconds and that can be a problem for the N800 (running 4.2007.26-8) with some Access Points. Can anyone tell me if this was rectified in 4.2007.38-2 ?

I have a Linksys WRT54G version 4 with standard Linksys firmware, and my N800 works very nicely in my own WiFi cloud. When I goto a friends place who has another brand/make wireless router ( AP ), I think he said he has a NetGear. My Skype performance is less than I'd like when I am in his network cloud (dropped connections/calls). Could it be that I need to increase the:

'/system/osso/connectivity/IAP/wlan_sleep_timeout'

when I am using my N800 on his network? or did the 4.2007.38-2 already alter the parameter to a value higher than 200mS set in the older 4.2007.26-8?

I understand that the value of the wlan_sleep_timer is going to have an effect on the N800 battery drain. Can anyone say how much? Will a setting of 1000mS really hit my battery that hard to where it is very noticeable? I'd gladly sacrifice some milliamphours in exchange for a more stable Skype experience when I am away from home (if that is really what is going on when I am at my buddies place with that Netgear AP).

Up 'til now I was blaming his ISP ( ClearWire ) and not his router. SO many variables, I know, but can anyone please comment quantitatively on the battery drain variance between 200mS and 1000mS in the wlan_sleep_timeout? and can someone "in the know" tell me the default wlan_sleep_timeout value for 4.2007.38-2?

Thanks !

IIRC there were always some issues with the N800 and NetGear routers... although the only one I used worked perfectly fine. I think there are a couple of old threads on the N800/NetGear combination that might give you your required information.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
4.2007.38-2 fixed one issue and one issue only - that issue being the SD memory card corruption, nothing else changed.

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York
Thanks guys. I'll continue to dig. I have set my N800's wlan_sleep_timeout to 1000mS. I'm going to my friend's now and I'll make some Skype calls thru his network and see if that helps. I'll also look and see exactly what AP/Router he has.

When I get back here ( home ) I'll restore the wlan_sleep_timeout setting to 200mS and retest in my network (which works really well with Skype).

I have some test equipment here, so I suppose I could try to do some empirical bench testing on the differences between 200mS and 1000mS as it applies to battery drain. This could quantify the difference and make it easier to decide if the 1000mS sleep_timeout is a big negative, or minor one. There are many variables, involving the manner in which the N800 is in use so this isn't going to be easy to do this test correctly. What I'm saying is, setting the wlan_sleep_timer to 200 and measuring drain, and then recharging battery and repeating with wlan_sleep_timer at 1000mS with the N800 sitting turned-on (with WiFI connected) but idle wouldn't necessarily teach me anything useful. I'd have to generate typical network data traffic between the AP and the N800 in a consistent manner between the two tests but not the type of data traffic that wouldn't show a difference between the two settings. This isn't an easy test to set-up because what is "typical" data traffic?