Active Topics

I picked up a blog item on Miro that's just reached v1.0 release status. It's available for Linux, OSX and Windows.

Just speculating whether an OS2008 port might be possible - can any of the developers/"insiders" provide a view whether the N8x0 would have the performance to support a ported Miro client?

I believe that Miro uses VLC as a backend video renderer. VLC has never been ported to the N800. Mplayer on the other hand has been ported and has a lot of NIT specific optimizations.

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Kentucky
miro is nice, but you'll need a ton of space if you download many videos(like me hehe)

Rocketman & Jason,

Thanks for your posts - according to the MIRO faq, MIRO exploits VLC on Windows, Quicktime on OSX and gstreamer on Linux. I made a brief search around maemo.org & found a lot of references to gstreamer in the NIT OS but I have worked out which versions of the OS include it at what revision of gstreamer. So that's promising...

I need to have a closer look at what it does, my initial perception is that it looks very cool & certainly seems to be preferable, as a video "conduit", to YouTube.

I use Miro on my Ubuntu desktop. It is a great app. Jwhelan is right in that you do need a ton of space for downloads. It also aggregates many different file formats and plays them under one roof.

On OS2007, Video Center was an attempt, but a far cry, at doing something similar because of file format support. I am assuming that w/ the improved video performance in os2008, an updated Video Center application could offer us a viable alternative to Miro. Video Center offers you the option of downloading or streaming before doing anything, so disk size is not as big of an issue.

I plan to find content via Miro and then export the channel info to my n800 for Video Center.

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Orlando, FL
unfortunately, a lot of content on Miro is encoded in .mov/H.264/mp4 format making it useless on VideoCenter/N800. I tried National Geographic, TED, Dr. Bill, E2 PBS and a few more. Still looking..

Posts: 130 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Canada
My Miro downloads work fine under Mplayer. but yeah, Videocenter, canola, or any of the other players using the native gstreamer playback will make you unhappy. Just use mplayer.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheRealBubba For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I use Miro in Windows and Linux and find it quite useful, and fairly unobtrusive. It's hard to neliev it would be so handy on my N800, but it would be fun to try.

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Orlando, FL
@TheRealBubba
I used mplayer too. Have you been able to play H.264 mp4 and mov files in it? I see a couple of frames after which things come to a standstill without sound.
For example, can you get The Onion Network in Miro to run?

As well as Orb was running while I had os2008 installed, I think installing Miro on an XP box and sharing that folder thru Orb could be a solid way to go.