Active Topics

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
I know that bugzilla is the place to report bugs, but I am not sure it is appropriate to report bugs on what is actually a hacked system: running 0S2008 on the N800 at present. So if someone with a N810 could check the following, it would be nice.

Since I installed OS2008, my router crashed 4 times (it rebooted). The router is an airport extreme. The router never crashed the months before. Is use WPA, G mode only and the network is hidden. The router crashed when I tried to browse site using flash 9 video. There are other computers active on the same wifi network.

I can't reproduce the crash at will, or else I would give clearer instructions. But if you are a N810 user and notice that your router crashed, please consider a bug report.

Of course, it could simply be an incompatibility between the N810 software and the N800 hardware, in which case there is no bug.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jerome For This Useful Post:
please report the bug! i'm not using encryption with my wlan and i've not seen any problem with my router.. and btw.. if the router crash.. the bug is in the router (and maybe also in the tablet!)

As written in the other thread: I agree that the router should not crash, of course and I will see if the problem is known on the Apple forums. OTOH, the Nokia is a device which is likely to be used on various routers (not only at home), and if it crashes all series of them in Internet cafes and the like, Nokia has a problem on their hands.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
more the other way around:

the serious bug is on apple side. their router is buggy, it's clear.
on 'nokia' side, it has to be seen if they send something wrong but it's not critical!
do other router crash? or just apples' ?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
I know that bugzilla is the place to report bugs, but I am not sure it is appropriate to report bugs on what is actually a hacked system: running 0S2008 on the N800 at present. So if someone with a N810 could check the following, it would be nice.
Report the bugs, whatever you find on whatever system you're running.

It may be easier to fix the n810 because it is a single device, but I'd rather that the vulnerability that makes these routers crash be fixed by the manufacturers as this vulnerability may be exploited maliciously.

After some search, it appears to be a bug in the router firmware. See:
-bugzilla bug #1459 (comment 3)
-http://www.danboe.net/articles/1164/boot-camp-windows-vista-no-more-airport-extreme-reboots
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....60314&#5460314

I've been having the same random router resets with my N800 and Airport Extreme. I think it's the N800, that forum thread referenced had to do with Vista, I don't think that applies here. My N800 has had a lot of trouble with basic WiFi. It wouldn't even see my network using two different routers (buffalo and airport extreme) confirmed with two different N800s. I was about to give up on it when I installed OS2008 and it instantly saw the network. Now it seems to work fine until it randomly crashes the Airport. In my case the sole reason I got the N800 was to stream Rhapody and that's exactly what it's doing when it crashes the router. So far the N800 seems like a waste of time. But if this issue was solved the random Rhapsody crashes would probably be a little more bearable.

Thinking about when this happens further, it only seems to happen if I'm using my N800 to stream music while either my macbook or my appleTV is accessing data from the hard drive I have attached to the airport router. If I'm not accessing that network drive, then the N800 plays nice.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
My routers never crash. I can't think of anything good about a router crashing -- they shouldn't do that, should they? Why would a router let a little Nokia pick on it ?