Notices

Hi,

has anyone tried to port this to OS2007/2008? For those that don't know what GemRB is: it's an OSS implementation of the infinity engine that was used to create the RPGs Baldur's Gate 1/2, Icewind Dale 1/2 and Planescape: Torment. I would love to play these on my tablet.

Thanks for any information,

Steelbutt

Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
This could be great !

I ll try to compile source out of the box to see if it s would be easy

EDIT : It s require openal. I need to compile it.

EDIT : It's require now Python 2.3 Shared library ....

EDIT : Configure : ./configure PYTHON=/usr/bin/python2.5 : PASS

EDIT : Compile error

Variables.cpp: In member function `__POSITION* Variables::GetNextAssoc(__POSITION*, const char*&, ieDword&) const':
Variables.cpp:81: warning: cast from `__POSITION*' to `Variables::MyAssoc*' increases required alignment of target type
make[4]: *** [Variables.lo] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/maemo/gemrb-0.2.9/gemrb/plugins/Core'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/maemo/gemrb-0.2.9/gemrb/plugins'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/maemo/gemrb-0.2.9/gemrb'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/maemo/gemrb-0.2.9'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I don't have the time to investigate more.
sorry

Last edited by Khertan; 2007-11-26 at 12:33.

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
GemRB is not yet playable. Check back in 2008.

Khertan, go into the Variables.cpp directory and pull out the -Werror then it'll skip over that error.

Same error occurs in a few other places. Remove -Werror in
--------------------------
plugins/GUIScript/Makefile
plugins/SDLVideoDriver/Makefile
plugins/ACMImporter/Makefile
plugins/BMPImporter/Makefile
plugins/CREImporter/Makefile
plugins/MVEPlayer/Makefile

seems the n800 can do unaligned reads (but this is slow). So this is a TODO...

edit; a lot of stuff works, but there are a pile of bugs to squash. like for e.g. your character starts out the game stuck in the cage.

Last edited by ArnimS; 2008-01-23 at 22:52.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArnimS For This Useful Post:
Posts: 18 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Eindhoven, Netherlands
Wow, this would be great!

Baldurs Gate 2 and Throne of Bhaal must have been one of the best games I've ever played. Hours of fun.
How did you get all the gamedata on the device? I remember the installed game being something like 2 GB, would it work well with our super-slow memory cards?

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
From Wikipedia:
SDHC
8GB SDHC cards
8GB SDHC cards

An extension of the SD standard, SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity, SD 2.0), allows capacities in excess of 2 GB. SDHC cards are often formatted with the FAT32 file system, which supports partition sizes greater than 2 GB.[12] It uses the same form factor as SD, but the SD 2.0 standard in SDHC uses a different memory addressing method (sector addressing vs byte addressing), thus theoretically reaching a maximum capacity of up to 2048GB. SDHC cards only work in SDHC compatible devices, but standard SD cards work in both SD and SDHC devices. The SDHC trademark is licensed to ensure compatibility.[13]

SDHC cards have SD Speed Class Ratings defined by the SD Association. The SD Speed Class Ratings specify the following minimum sustained write speed on to empty SDHC cards:

* Class 2: 2 MB/s
* Class 4: 4 MB/s
* Class 6: 6 MB/s
Refer:
http://www.sdcard.org/about/speed_class/

This certainly looks impressive. I see you haven't gotten to play it, but I am sure those are fairly small hurdles. But, do you have some speculation as to the playing speed? Will it be fast enough to be enjoyable? If so, then I will head out and see if I can find it in the bargain bin or used software store and pick it up.

Originally Posted by Nanocore View Post
This certainly looks impressive. I see you haven't gotten to play it, but I am sure those are fairly small hurdles. But, do you have some speculation as to the playing speed?
You can see a few minutes of play here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUwUDoC3vc4
[ GemRB Baldur's Gate 2 on on Nokia N810 ]

Originally Posted by Michiel View Post
Wow, this would be great!

Baldurs Gate 2 and Throne of Bhaal must have been one of the best games I've ever played. Hours of fun.
How did you get all the gamedata on the device? I remember the installed game being something like 2 GB, would it work well with our super-slow memory cards?
It's about 2 GB. I used netcat to copy the whole SoA tree onto kingston 4GB Class 6 miniSD but copying over usb would probably be safer, certainly faster.

Strongly encourage anyone interested to jump in on this. I've found one guy to help implement a 800x480 mode. I'll try to iron out some UI issues this year.

Last edited by ArnimS; 2008-01-25 at 17:56.

Thank you for that, I must say that is quite impressive and certainly appears very playable. Definitely worth picking up . Since I didn't see your hand and stylus I assume that you were using a bluetooth mouse? Will it work with the stylus?

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
I saw in the comments in Youtube that the guy didn't get the sound to work. However i can confirm it works - you only need to tell openal to use alsa, not oss (which is default).

Also to confirm that it works with stylus.

Now only needs right click and 800x480, i'll try to fix something up.