Given that this is a beta, hopefully reasonable features can be added and bugs fixed.

I'd like to see the open xvid codec added to the Nokia media player. Spare me your H.264 is the future responses please

Hmm ok i'll add some stuff:

- Mail client sucks - we need modest (fully integrated like the regular client)
- Allow to integrate pidgin just like GTalk
- More brightness settings (especially darker ones)
- The new way to enter stuff like Ctrl-C in the terminal is a pain ! (ever used nano with that ?)
- Allow FULL customization of menus
- For all kind of notification (from new mail to the alarm clock: allow any mp3 file or even internet radio
- Allow me to switch between wide, thumb friendly scrollbars and small ones for use with the stylus (in all applications, eg microB just has the small ones others have only the big ones)
- Make more use of the led, use flashing intervals to signal different kinds of information, make the led accessible to 3rd party programs
- The new way to move applets is slick but not as accurate
- Pressing enter in the fullscreen keyboard should do the same as in the small one (ever noticed how you have to press "send" in pidgin after pressing enter when using the fullscreen keyboard ?

Don't get me wrong: I LOVE the new OS - these are just the things i noticed

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by zeez View Post
Hmm ok i'll add some stuff:

- Mail client sucks - we need modest (fully integrated like the regular client)
That was the original intent - to replace the original mail client, however it just didn't get finished on time. You can do this right now, I believe, if you dummy out the original client name and change the Modest program name to replace it. It already works with the integrated alerts.

- Allow to integrate pidgin just like GTalk
Won't happen, but you don't need to anyways since there are Jabber servers like Jablet out there for exactly this reason.

- More brightness settings (especially darker ones)
A return to the original 10 settings would be nice.

- For all kind of notification (from new mail to the alarm clock: allow any mp3 file or even internet radio
I filed a bug for something like this before.

- Make more use of the led, use flashing intervals to signal different kinds of information, make the led accessible to 3rd party programs
I believe this is already implemented.

- The new way to move applets is slick but not as accurate
Agreed, already a bug on it.

- Pressing enter in the fullscreen keyboard should do the same as in the small one (ever noticed how you have to press "send" in pidgin after pressing enter when using the fullscreen keyboard ?
Works fine in the web browser.

Don't get me wrong: I LOVE the new OS - these are just the things i noticed
Yeah, there are some small things still that I'd like to see changed. Good list though.

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Won't happen, but you don't need to anyways since there are Jabber servers like Jablet out there for exactly this reason.
I think we had a talk on this before. But my experience with transports is bad. They are less reliable, offer less features and if one of the protocols change you can only hope that whoever runs the server fixes it. Also most unexperienced uses would rather click on that .install file for pidgin instead of setting up transports...

I believe this is already implemented.
Hmm yeah but they don't make as much use of it as i would like to see. Also i have not seen i 3rd party app using it yet.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I think we had a talk on this before. But my experience with transports is bad. They are less reliable, offer less features and if one of the protocols change you can only hope that whoever runs the server fixes it. Also most unexperienced uses would rather click on that .install file for pidgin instead of setting up transports...
I think it's because a lot of the people that run Jabber servers just simply don't use them themselves so they don't notice or care if it goes down, is instable, etc... I run my own and I constantly use it as anyone on the service can tell. Fixes applied as soon as they are put out. But I'm definitely in the minority, as you mentioned.

If a protocol changes, you have to download an updated version if Pidgin, or maybe just of that protocol's plugin.. whereas on my Jabber server if something like that happens, I install it once and it works for everyone without them needing to update anything.

Setting up transports and getting a Jablet account is going to be reduced down to clicking on an .install file soon as well for the inexperienced users, though it's not all that hard to do right now with PSI. Currently working on that, among other things.

EDIT: In case I wasn't clear, Modest will be the new integrated mail client in the future, just as Microb replaced Opera.

Last edited by zerojay; 2007-11-27 at 19:07.

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Montreal, Canada
Greetings:

Well my Wishlist would be:

1) Have a Video Chat conference with Nicole Kidman
2) Can it be possible to have Flash support for the WebCam
3) FM Radio

Regards Robert

Originally Posted by RobMtl007 View Post
Greetings:

Well my Wishlist would be:

Send her an N810 and I'm sure she'd do that.

2) Can it be possible to have Flash support for the WebCam
This is probably Adobe's doing. We're probably using a stripped down version of Flash for embedded devices. But even if it did support the webcam, it would be nearly unusable anyways. Ever try using the cam much as is? Most of the programs that use it (aside from Internet Call) are as crashy and choppy as can be.

3) FM Radio
Nokia's already confirmed that this will be working on OS2008 and that the new FM Radio applet should be released around the time of the OS2008 final.

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 190 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Salem, OR
my wife looks like Nicole Kidman (kinda), send me a N810 and I'll arrange not one, but 4 video chat conferences with her ;-)

Posts: 357 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Sunny England :)
does anyone have a modest deb or binaries? I don't have a machine I can put the scratchbox on at the moment. I know it's only alpha, but I fancy trying it

Posts: 574 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ BC, Canada
This is probably Adobe's doing. We're probably using a stripped down version of Flash for embedded devices. But even if it did support the webcam, it would be nearly unusable anyways. Ever try using the cam much as is? Most of the programs that use it (aside from Internet Call) are as crashy and choppy as can be.
There appears to be support for webcams in the Flash we have, but just no camera to select. When Flash prompts for a camera, the selection list is empty as if there isn't a compatible driver.

And if the Internet Call video works pretty well (and it does), that proves it is not a design flaw preventing it from working well in other apps. Who is to say Flash couldn't also work decently if the driver was written well.

Vote for Flash support for the webcam!

The Following User Says Thank You to technut For This Useful Post: