Active Topics

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Germany
Nokia Germany conntacted me that the n810 is allready shipping here.

So I looked arround in the shops a bit:
The only shop I've found the n810 so far is amazon.de:

429,00 € thats f*ckin 630$ !!!

am I wrong or didn't I read about the n810 costing 400 to 430 $ in the us?!

Does anybody know about other european country-prices for the n810 ?

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Yes, it's slightly even more expensive in Finland (~€450). But I'm not sure if that's really news. Virtually all tech. items cost the same in € as they do in $ - take any Apple product for instance. Of course on some terms it gets more absurd the weaker the dollar is getting in comparison to the euro...

Posts: 187 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Southampton, UK
Its always more expensive in Europe due to taxation and other bunk though companies always seem to go for a higher rice as well.

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
Yes, it's slightly even more expensive in Finland (~€450). But I'm not sure if that's really news. Virtually all tech. items cost the same in € as they do in $ - take any Apple product for instance. Of course on some terms it gets more absurd the weaker the dollar is getting in comparison to the euro...
Yes. Once the Euro will be weaker than the dollar we'll get price converted as the actual rate. Now we have parity Euro/dollar parity drives me mad.

There was a short note about the N810 in a Swiss magazine two weeks ago. They wrote it would be available for about 750 Swiss francs, which is about 460 Euros (which is about 680 US$)!

I'm also thinking about buying the N810 in the US by a friend who will come to Switzerland for Christmas.

At launch the 770 was 349€, the N800 399€, now the N810 is 4x9€... it's marketing logic at work here, not currency rates. Europeans will pay this, Americans will pay that.

The only notable, recent exception is Asus with its EEE PC, which is 399$ in the US and 299€ in Europe.

You can also think about it in a way that the total costs of making the device haven't gone down, the American dollar has just gotten a lot weaker in the last year. Since even the current price in dollars is sensitively high, you cannot really increase the price in dollars.

By this you mean that European buyers are effectively subsidising American ones ? :-)

... Well, yes. But in this case it's not really Nokia specific. For instance iPod classic is 249$ whilst being 268€ in Finland. I'm pretty sure the market mechanics are actually pretty complicated in this issue. What is the value of money etc. ... Your soul.

My soul ? Not to worry, I sold that loooong ago :-)