Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
I managed to import all my addresses from my AddressBook on MacOS10.4 into gpe-contacts by selecting-all and exporting as a single vCard. I learned that the default version of vCard 3.0 is not recognized by gpe-contact for multiple addresses. Changing the version to 2.1 under Preferences on the Mac, I was able to read in the vCard with all the contacts. That done, I then tried to import my calendar entries from iCal program into gpe-calendar. The ics file exported from iCal is not recognized, although according to Apple documentation iCal is following a standard format as described here:
http://developer.apple.com/internet/...ndarfiles.html

Any suggestions on how to get calendar entries from iCal to gpe-calendar?

Many thanks,
timbu

are you running the latest version of gpe-calendar? It should be 0.69 by now...
I had problems with the first version, but lately it's been working for me...
Perhaps you should try to get the files in vCalendar (.vcs) format...

Anybody figured out if it is possible? I get an error message with ICS files too. How do you export as vcs? (Im using the latest GPE)

Originally Posted by timbu
I managed to import all my addresses from my AddressBook on MacOS10.4 into gpe-contacts by selecting-all and exporting as a single vCard. I learned that the default version of vCard 3.0 is not recognized by gpe-contact for multiple addresses. Changing the version to 2.1 under Preferences on the Mac, I was able to read in the vCard with all the contacts. That done, I then tried to import my calendar entries from iCal program into gpe-calendar. The ics file exported from iCal is not recognized, although according to Apple documentation iCal is following a standard format as described here:
http://developer.apple.com/internet/...ndarfiles.html

Any suggestions on how to get calendar entries from iCal to gpe-calendar?

Many thanks,
timbu
Interestingly, my experience is the opposite from yours using Kontact (the KDE desktop PIM). I first exported my whole addressbook as a single vcard in 2.1 format based on your comment and it failed. I then tried again using vcard 3.0 and it worked. Go figure..

David

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ The Netherlands
I renamed my calender export file which was a non-working *.vcs file to a *.vcal file and it worked! Maybe that's the trick for you too?

Posts: 94 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ Metro Detroit Michigan USA
timbu

I learned that the default version of vCard 3.0 is not recognized by gpe-contact for multiple addresses. Changing the version to 2.1 under Preferences on the Mac, I was able to read in the vCard with all the contacts.

Thank you for this little tidbit! I was having a really bad time importing a *.vcf with multiple address's into GPE. What I did; which won't help you sorry; is to export the file from the Palm desktop and save it in my documents. I then emailed to myself and then saved it in my /home directory. Opening Konquerer, right clicking the saved file and then open. This brought up a import/cancel dialog when done I had an open address book in Konquerer. This allowed me to export the file and change the version at the same time. Nothing else I had allowed me to do that. This *.vcf file in the 2.1 version was then imported successfully by GPE Contacts. Hope this helps someone.
Peter