Posts: 84 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Marietta, GA, USA--Pombal, Portugal
Great news everyone, just like most of you, we encounter situation in which the internet is available to us but it isnt compatible with the internet tablet.

i speak of course, of hotels and other facilities that only offer Ethernet.

sure, we are making incredible progress on using the internet tablet as a usb host to eventually use ethernet, but some of us are too lazy....no worries, xPAKxMaster to the rescue!

some months ago linksys developed what we call the travel router, a simple device that converts any ethernet connection into wireless just by pluging it in(only one cable needed)

this is of course the LINKSYS WTR54GS wich is available at newegg(cheapest i found, even cheaper than ebay!)

here's the link www.newegg.com

have fun.

i have a feeling the Apple Airtunes is a better bang for your buck!...may be more compact than the Linksys, AND does wireless audio stuff...and can be used as a bridge, or print server....bunch of things!

Posts: 84 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Marietta, GA, USA--Pombal, Portugal
i did think about the airport express but after years of MAC disapointment, i kinda quit on apple.

it certainly looks awsome but i have a friend that bought one and it crashed after 3 months. same thing that happened with the infamous ibooks... in my last job we had an average of 5 crahes a day. (logic boards, dead screens, bad HD)

if you still trust mac then go ahead for the expesive solution(remember im focussing on travel - you are not going to carry a printer to your hotel room are you?)

good suggestion though

Originally Posted by xPAKxMaster View Post
Great news everyone, just like most of you, we encounter situation in which the internet is available to us but it isnt compatible with the internet tablet.

i speak of course, of hotels and other facilities that only offer Ethernet.

sure, we are making incredible progress on using the internet tablet as a usb host to eventually use ethernet, but some of us are too lazy....no worries, xPAKxMaster to the rescue!

some months ago linksys developed what we call the travel router, a simple device that converts any ethernet connection into wireless just by pluging it in(only one cable needed)

this is of course the LINKSYS WTR54GS wich is available at newegg(cheapest i found, even cheaper than ebay!)

here's the link www.newegg.com

have fun.
Wow, you have just discovered a wireless router. Congratulations, that is kinda like that guy who discovered America after Columbus...you know.....ok so I don't remember his name either. There are tons of access points better suited for travel use. They are usually even given the oh so clever name of travel routers. I like the DWL-G730AP which is smaller than a pack of cards and can be powered via usb or wallwart, comes with a little carrying case and can operate as a bridging AP, router or ethernet client bridge.

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ somewhere in the far south
Man, you don't need to be so rude...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to akd For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
Wow, you have just discovered a wireless router. Congratulations, that is kinda like that guy who discovered America after Columbus...you know.....ok so I don't remember his name either. There are tons of access points better suited for travel use. They are usually even given the oh so clever name of travel routers. I like the DWL-G730AP which is smaller than a pack of cards and can be powered via usb or wallwart, comes with a little carrying case and can operate as a bridging AP, router or ethernet client bridge.

nice of you to post a clever rude and sarcastic message, apart from your acrid words, i created this thread for suggestions on "travel routers". not as a dee dee dee discovery... anyways "thanks" for the suggestion... and please chill out, its not a competition. rudeness does not gain you points

Last edited by xPAKxMaster; 2007-11-29 at 23:42.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
Interestingly, the "guy who discovered America after Columbus", was Amerigo Vespucci. And guess who got a continent named after him?

Which goes to show that sarcasm is a very fine art, and can easily backfire.

(And to add insult to injury, the first cartographer who used the name "America" for the continent, was Mercator[*], one of my tribe)

____[*] Nitpicking time: While it is true that the cartographer Waldseemueller used the name first, he only applied it to the region around Brazil. Furthermore, he stopped using the name in later editions. But Gerardus Mercator pulled a timewarped burn on "Rocketman" in 1538. So there.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Karel Jansens For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
I always hate that they call those things "travel routers", or that there's these things called "mobile routers" (cellular USB/PCMCIA to wifi, but no battery in them).

It shouldn't be called travel/mobile unless it it's actually something you can use while traveling/mobile (ie. take the cellular routers, add a battery to them, make them pocket size, and NOW you've got a travel/mobile router).

Originally Posted by xPAKxMaster View Post
nice of you to post a clever rude and sarcastic message, apart from your acrid words, i created this thread for suggestions on "travel routers". not as a dee dee dee discovery... anyways "thanks" for the suggestion... and please chill out, its not a competition. rudeness does not gain you points
The point is, there already have been several threads saying the same things on the same subject, every few months over the last two years, so it's rather pointless to create a new one as if these things had been invented yesterday.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
The point is, there already have been several threads saying the same things on the same subject,
No, the point is he was being a jerk.

every few months over the last two years, so it's rather pointless to create a new one as if these things had been invented yesterday.
That's no excuse.