Active Topics

Even though its really old. I might get one. It seems better then the N800 in every possible way..

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
really? It doesn't run windows anymore?

It still runs Windows Mobile yeah. Don't see how thats a con though.

Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
Have you ever used Mobile IE?

Originally Posted by Beni View Post
Even though its really old. I might get one. It seems better then the N800 in every possible way..
I'm sure it is better in some ways, and the N800 in others (for me, open source and Linux are very important).

If you think it's the better device for you, then you should certainly get one and check it out, and let us know how it compares

Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
Have you ever used Mobile IE?
Nope. Why?

Originally Posted by Beni View Post
Nope. Why?
Honestly it's a complete joke, even in WM6. Be sure to try it out on a few of your favorite sites before spending any $. Also remember you're talking 640x480 (once you have rotated the screen) vs. 800x480 which also shaves off some more real estate.

I've owned an X50v for quite a while. For video (using TCPMP -- now Coreplayer) it's amazing with its accellerated Intel chip. Yes, better then the N8xx. But other then that ,I'll be glad to get rid of it once my eBay auction ends. Battery life is really poor, especially if Wifi is on (god forbid) or an app is running the CPU much. It makes me laugh thinking about having my n800 online and available for days.

Also in the world of Windows Mobile you also end up paying for apps more often then not. There are decent free apps, but they are the exception. I still use Windows Mobile via my phone (Moto Q) but other then that, I'm glad to be done.

Well, the main downside to the X51v right now is the fact that Dell no longer sells them and I'm not sure about the support. You can likely pick one up on Ebay or on one of the Axim fan sites, but they will all be a minimum of a year old. I've had mine for a few years now and love it. 640x480 isn't as nice as the Nokia's screen, but the smoking 624 mzh processor is sweet. The addition of a dedicated graphics processor (Intel 2700G) makes gaming and other graphic-intensive tasks manageable (as long as the code leverages that power). Another downside is no support for WM6. Windows Mobile/CE/whatever justifiably had a bad rep. WM5 was a good step forward. I've been unable to use WM6 since Dell never supported it. For those who mourn the use of IE, I know of no one who uses it. I use Opera and there is also Netfront. Add to the "pros" column the fact that there is more software available for the Dell than you could ever want. Nokia is helped by the Palm OS emulator, but I have one of those on my Axim that runs very, very well.

In the end, is all depends on how you want to use it. The Dell is smaller, has a built in mic for push-button voice memos, bluetooth, 802.11b, CF and SD slot and will actually fit in a pocket. It doesn't have a camera or a phone, but like the Nokia it can be used with VOIP (I've used it with my Skype account for a while now). You can buy a crappy camera that goes into the SD slot, but I don't think that is a plus. Nokia has an advantage in the Java/Flash app department. That is a BIG advantage for some. For others it won't matter as much.

Each are good devices and fill a niche. I think you'll be happy regardless of your choice. Since I own one, you'd think I'd stop Jonesing for an iPhone and an 810. Yet, here we are.

Last edited by AkiraXXX; 2007-12-04 at 23:03.

Originally Posted by AkiraXXX View Post
Well, the main downside to the X51v right now is the fact that Dell no longer sells them and I'm not sure about the support. You can likely pick one up on Ebay or on one of the Axim fan sites, but they will all be a minimum of a year old. I've had mine for a few years now and love it. 640x480 isn't as nice as the Nokia's screen, but the smoking 624 mzh processor is sweet. The addition of a dedicated graphics processor (Intel 2700G) makes gaming and other graphic-intensive tasks manageable (as long as the code leverages that power).
I agree with much of this, and maybe the X51v was much different then the x50v, but the processor and Wifi chews through batteries and spits them out on mine. This really limits the usefulness IMO. That's in WM2003SE, WM5 or WM6.

Another downside is no support for WM6. Windows Mobile/CE/whatever justifiably had a bad rep. WM5 was a good step forward. I've been unable to use WM6 since Dell never supported it.
Offical support isn't there but you can run WM6 on an X50v or X51v. I ran it on my X50v for a few weeks just to see what had changed.

For those who mourn the use of IE, I know of no one who uses it. I use Opera and there is also Netfront.
This would be his first extra purchase then. Having bought both of these, I'd still take Mozilla on the Nokia any day. Of course YMMV.

Add to the "pros" column the fact that there is more software available for the Dell than you could ever want. Nokia is helped by the Palm OS emulator, but I have one of those on my Axim that runs very, very well.
But it's a much more "commercial" software landscape for Windows Mobile. I'm not saying that's always "bad" (heck I'd love to pony up for some missing Maemo apps of my choice), but it is very different. I spent a lot on WM stuff to get what I could out of it at the time

Each are good devices and fill a niche. I think you'll be happy regardless of your choice. Since I own one, you'd think I'd stop Jonesing for an iPhone and an 810. Yet, here we are.
Heh.. Now I don't feel that bad. I just want the N810.

The addition of a dedicated graphics processor (Intel 2700G) makes gaming and other graphic-intensive tasks manageable (as long as the code leverages that power).
Wouldn't it be great if the Nokia tablets actually used the fancy graphics chips inside them as well?

It really drives me nuts knowing there's great stuff inside that isn't being used!